If you are searching for a unique-looking necklace or bracelet or one that is just in a larger size, then you may want to try some custom plus size jewelry. These pieces are tailored to fit your needs in many ways!
About Custom Jewelry in Plus Sizes
For some plus-sized women, jewelry that fits well, feels comfortable and looks appropriate can be hard to come by. Many clothing shops and boutiques that cater to full-figured gals do carry some pieces, but they may not be exactly your size or what you're looking to buy. Custom jewelry is created just for you. It will be the size you need and the color you want. You won't have to worry about the rings, watches or bracelets leaving indents or marks on your skin because they are too tight. You also can show off your neckline with a beautiful necklace that falls exactly where it should and not necessarily look like a choker.
Just about any piece of jewelry can be customized by a jeweler or jewelry designer. Most common pieces include:
Custom jewelry is not only about size, though. It's also all about the design. Some pieces of custom-made jewelry encompass family heirlooms or other pieces of jewelry that have significant meanings. Diamonds from your great-grandmother's engagement ring can be put into a special ring or pendant that you can wear, for example. Or you can custom-make a mother's ring or bracelet to encompass all of your children's birthstones. Other pieces of custom plus size jewelry are made completely from scratch and depending on the quality you want, as well as the price you want to pay, your jewelry can be made from:
- Base metals such as platinum, yellow, white or rose gold, silver, stainless steel, titanium, tungsten carbide or rhodium
- Jewelry or memory wire
- Glass or plastic beads or charms
- Synthetic or genuine stones
Finding Custom Plus Size Jewelry
The easiest way to find a custom jewelry designer who specializes in plus sizes would be to contact your favorite jeweler. Many times, they have a designer on staff who could assist you or can direct toward someone who could. However, if you'd rather search online, there are a few places that offer jewelry customized for plus size ladies:
- CleverGirl Industries runs a successful store on Etsy. She not only creates customized jewelry, but can alter pieces so they fit comfortably for a plus-size woman. Besides basic jewelry, she also customizes hair clips and cuff links.
- Paula McCartin Custom Jewelry specializes in jewelry on a grander scale, specifically large and plus size pieces. Choose from necklaces, earrings and lockets, some even in matching sets.
A Few Things to Remember
When buying custom plus size jewelry, keep a few things in mind:
- Make sure your measurements are correct. If you aren't sure, have a friend help you measure your neck, wrist or ankle for the pieces you want to buy. Many times, custom-made jewelry is not returnable.
- One size really doesn't fit all. Jewelry that is too small on your neck or hands looks worse than not wearing any at all.
- Be sure the jewelry balances your body. Earrings should be drop-style and not hidden on your ears, like studs can be. And don't wear many styles of chunky jewelry at once. Have one focal piece, whether it be necklace or earrings.
- If you are spending good money on jewelry, don't be afraid to have it adjusted if it isn't just right.
Remember, jewelry is a personal statement about you and not every piece that looks good on your best friend will look good on you (and vice versa). Have fun customizing pieces that you can mix and match with not only your formal wardrobe, but your casual one as well.