Ever look at a full-figured gal's footwear and say to yourself, "Where did she get those cute shoes?" Historically, if a plus size woman wanted cute shoes and they didn't come in her size, then she'd have to do without or squeeze her feet into a pair that didn't fit (and then suffer the consequences later). Take note, though, ladies: Shoe designers have come a long way. What was once only a dream is now a reality for women with larger feet.
About Women's Shoes
Women's plus-size shoes are larger and wider than what is found at a regular shoe store. That doesn't mean that every plus size woman has big feet; they don't. Some do, though, and they should also be able to wear cute shoes. Nowadays, shoes for larger women come in a variety of sizes, colors, fabrics and styles -- nothing like the shoes that were available for plus-sized gals years ago. Some of today's styles include:
Now, as a plus-sized lady, you may not like all of these styles or even want to wear all of them. If you do find a few cute pairs in your size, though, your best bet is to try all of them on to find a style and size that fits and looks exactly the way you want. Most women's shoes come in sizes 5 to 10, with sizes up to 13 or 14 (or larger), depending on the designer. Widths come in:
- B or M - regular/medium
- D or W - wide
- EW, EE or WW - extra wide or wide wide
- EEEE or WWWW - extra wide wide
Where to Find Cute Plus Size Shoes
Depending on your size and width, plus-sized shoes can be relatively easy to find. However, it's the larger and wider styles that may be a bit more difficult. To find those cute styles in larger sizes, check out these Web sites:
- Torrid: This women's plus size clothing store also sells a variety of shoes for larger women, most of them in sizes up to 12, but in regular widths.
- One Stop Plus: Choose from many styles, including extra-wide calf boots to flats and dress shoes, many of which are available in sizes 7 to 14 WW. A handy fitting guide is also available to help you determine your size, with directions to even help you find a great-fitting pair of boots.
- Avenue: This popular women's clothing store also carries a wide variety of its brand of shoes, Cloudwalkers, both in the store and online. Most shoes are available in sizes 8 to 13.
- WideWidths.com: Looking for plus calf boots? This site has stylish boots with calf widths ranging from wide calf to super-wide calf. Use the measuring chart available on the site to determine what type you will need.
- Woman Within: This plus size store features cute and comfortable shoes in an array of styles up to size 13 WW.
- BarefootTess.com has large sizes and wide widths.
- Lane Bryant has cute shoes in wide widths, with sizing up to 12 W.
- Shoe Buy allows you to search shoes up to size 15 WW.
- Applebottoms: This trendy online plus size boutique has an array of fashion forward wide width and large size shoes and boots.
- BA Mason: This store allows you to search for casual, comfortable shoes up to size 12 WW.
- Zappos has a selection of extra-wide shoes in a wide array of styles. Shoe sizes go up to size 20.
Comfort Is Key
Remember to make sure your cute plus size shoes are comfortable before you wear them out in the real world. There really is no worse pain than foot pain, especially if you are away from home and can't sit down or get off your feet for awhile. Have fun shoe shopping!