The versatility of denim makes denim skirts for plus size women a fashion favorite. Whether you love the look of miniskirts, long lengths or lengths in between, wearing a denim skirt makes you look and feel stylish and fashionable.
Buying Plus Size Denim Skirts
Denim isn't just for jeans or jackets. Skirts made of this durable fabric can come in as many varieties as pants. You can find dark denim, acid-washed denim, distressed denim…there are many possibilities in color and style. Plus size clothing manufacturers understand that curvy women want clothing that not only fits them, but is also stylish and contemporary.
There are many retailers, both online and offline, that offer a variety of denim skirts in all lengths to omplement your wardrobe.
The following types of retail stores generally carry plus size denim skirts:
- Plus size specialty shops, such as Fashion Bug Plus, Avenue and Lane Bryant
- Department stores, such as Macy's, JCPenney and Bloomingdale's
- Big box stores such as Target, Walmart and Kmart
Plus Size Denim Skirts Online
Many etailers carry a selection of denim skirts for plus size women.
Love Your Peaches
Love Your Peaches offers a selection of several skirt styles in lightweight washed denim. The soft, 100 percent cotton fabric is pre-washed to prevent shrinkage from occurring. The following styles are available in indigo blue or black in sizes 1X to 6X:
- Danica skirt features an asymmetrical flare
- Skirt-All has an attached bib overall top, adjustable straps and a long skirt that tapers slightly
- Ballgown skirt features a flare with paneled sections
Women Within offers a beautiful full sweep flared denim skirt that features a full elastic waist, side seam pockets and a drawstring. The skirt, made of woven cotton denim or twill, is available in sizes 14W to 42W in a lovely assortment of color choices including:
- Medium stonewash
Woman Within also offers:
- A gored lightweight full sweep paneled long skirt in sizes 12W to 34W in a choice of antique chambray or antique indigo
- A two paneled A-line long denim skirt by Ellos in sizes 14W to 34W in dark denim
- An above knee denim skort featuring front and back pockets, side cargo pockets and a zippered front closure available in light, medium or dark denim, black, white or khaki in sizes 14W to 34W
Look terrific in this above knee, dark sandblast denim pencil skirt offered at Lane Bryant. Available in sizes 14 to 16, the cotton/spandex skirt features:
- Tighter Tummy technology for flattening your tummy
- Contrast stitching
- Five pockets
- Belt loops
- Zippered fly with double button front closure
Style 7 carries a varied assortment of denim skirts in plus sizes. However, this company does not restock any item once it is sold out so their inventory changes frequently. Style 7 offers denim skirts ranging from their tiered, short Fashion Ripped Jean Skirt with rhinestones and ripped designs in sizes 26 to 34 to their lovely, calf length, pencil style Professional Khaki Denim Skirt in sizes 40 to 46. Examples of the many styles include:
- Blue jean
Alight offers several plus size skirts, including a short, 15-inch mini skirt in sizes 1X to 3X. The skirt is khaki-tinted denim and features gorgeous embellishments of fabric applique, glitter, beads and buttons. Additional styles of denim skirts offered from Alight include a:
- Rolling stonewash denim skirt with a full zippered front
- Bleach wash crinkle skirt with whisker design
- Bright light wash short skirt in distressed fabric
- Cloud wash mini with whisker details
- Blasting blue denim skirt with camouflage and lace tiers by Angfu
- Stone wash long skirt
The available sizes depend on the specific skirt.
Flatter Your Figure
With so many lengths and colors available, it is no wonder that there is a denim skirt for every plus size woman out there. It's important to choose a style that best flatters your figure and makes the most of your assets. Consider these tips:
- In general, steer clear of very form-fitting cuts, which accentuate heavy thighs and hips.
- An A-line denim skirt is perfect for concealing a large bottom half. Pair it with a fitted top to create balance, which will also serve to draw the eye upward and away from trouble spots.
- A denim pencil skirt is especially flattering on women who have large calves. Pencil skirts don't have to be tight; they can gently negotiate the body's curves in a manner that is quite flattering.
- A long denim skirt is ideal for women who are tall and wish to conceal large calves or ankles. Petite women should avoid longer lengths, as they will make them appear shorter.
The Adaptable Denim Skirt
One of denim's best qualities is its adaptability. Using the same skirt, you can achieve several different looks just by changing the type of shirt and shoes you wear with it. It's up to you how you want to accessorize your skirt. In summer, wearing a light and breezy top and sandals will keep your look casual and carefree. In winter, you can pair the same skirt with tights, boots, a turtleneck and classic coat.
Denim skirts can even be worn in your work environment, depending on your place of business and its dress code. For non-office wear, enjoy wearing your denim skirts to many places. This versatile clothing style works for dates, outings, picnics and other activities.
Since denim is such a large part of many people's wardrobes, it's widely acceptable in many environments. Still, this is a fabric that won't work in any type of formal setting. Denim leans toward the more casual end of the style spectrum.
Denim is always in, no matter what the season, so owning several denim skirts can take you through an entire year of dressing well. Whether you wear them for work or play, wear them in style.