One of the worst things that can happen to a gorgeous outfit is a non-supportive, ill-fitting bra. Whether working out, getting dressed for a special occasion, or for everyday wear, it's important to have a bra that fits well and supports your curves. Whether you are heading out to a specialty bra boutique to shop for new additions, or shopping online, the following are some of the most supportive full-figure bras to consider.
Top Brands and Styles in Supportive Bras
When shopping for the best bra that will provide full support and function for your lifestyle and needs, keep this list of brands in mind. A few elements to consider when making a bra selection should include quality fabrics, thick sturdy elastic straps, and a comfortable underwire or supportive cup style.
Intimate apparel brand Wacoal offers bras ranging from 34-44 band and D-I cup sizes. The collection includes fabrics such as lace, silky body suede, and t-shirt bras with padded straps and triple hook and eye closures for support. For women who need support during workout routines, or those wearing fashionable tops with various necklines and shoulder types there are sports bras and convertible strap bras available. From neutral shades to bright and bold colors, there many choices ranging in cost from about $40 to $85.
- The Wacoal Bodysuede Full Figure Seamless bra has been slated as one of the best bras on freshpair.com. It has a smooth, silky fabric, lightly lined cups, and comes with support panels and a leotard back to minimize unsightly bulges. It comes in sizes 32 to 44, with cup sizes from D to DDD for about $60.
- Retro Chic Full-Figure Underwire Bra is the ideal bra design for women interested in a look that is vintage-inspired. The retro bra style is available in blue, pink, tan, neutral and black. Band sizes range from 32-46 with cups sizes D-I and costs between approximately $42-$60. This bra style was also chosen as one of the top bras by LingerieBriefs.com, praising its stretch-fabric cups and excellent support and lift.
- The Simple Shaping Full-Coverage Underwire Minimizer is great for women looking for a bra that will minimize the appearance of their breast when wearing casual tops or dresses. The seamless basic bra comes in black and neutral and costs around $50. Band sizes range from 32-44 and cup sizes from DD-G. The Simple Shaping Wacoal Minimizer Bra style was also listed as one of the best minimizer bras by beauty and fashion blog Her Style Code for its firm, molded cups, full support, and comfortable fit.
Sometimes finding a neutral color supportive bra is a challenge for women of color who have darker skin tones. To fill the void within the intimate apparel industry, designer Ade Hassan launched Nubian Skin. The collection goes up to bras size 40DD and the latest line, Moroccan Nights, goes up to a size 38G. Three bra categories within the brand include the Essential T-Shirt Bra, the Strapless Convertible Bra, and the Classic Lace Bra. Bras by Nubian Skin cost about $30-$65.
- For women of color looking for a neutral bra to wear under sheer fabrics or white shirts, the Essential T-shirt Bra is a wardrobe essential. The nude color choices are Berry, Caramel, Cafe Au Lait, and Cinnamon and cost around $35, in band sizes 30-40 and cups D-DD. If you've been searching for a neutral everyday bra to wear, Refinery29.com suggests that this style will be a welcome addition to your underwear drawer. On Health.com, the Nubian Skin Essential T-Shirt Bra was also cited as being the perfect nude bra.
- The Classic Lace Push Up Bra is a style that provides underwire support in a pretty lace style that is ideal for a woman planning to dress up for an evening out to accentuate her curves. This romantic bra style comes in sizes up to 40 DD for about $65, but you can also fill out a size survey on the Nubian website to request additional sizes as well. Not only have the sexy styles from Nubian received positive reception from consumers, celebrities such as Beyonce are supporting the line.
Among the plus size women's brands that provide supportive bras for full figures, retailer Ashley Stewart offers a phenomenal lineup. Size ranges offered are 38D - 48G in a variety of colors such as black, blue, grey, multi, orange, purple, and red. Fabrics include lace, nylon, spandex, polyester with prices of around $30 - $50. Women shopping the brand can expect to find bras with ultra-comfortable gel straps, patented double-wrap backs, and high-quality fit and support.
- For the woman with a versatile wardrobe of shirt and dress neckline or sleeve styles, the Convertible Butterfly Bra has straps that can be worn six ways. It has a double-back wrap panel to eliminate bulge. Bra bands are available in sizes 38-46 and cup sizes are available in C-H. The only color for this bra style is black and the cost range is about $40-$50. Plus size bloggers the Curvy Fashionista and The Lingerie Addict are admirers of the Convertible Butterfly Bra and praise the support, lift, comfort and style of the Convertible Butterfly Bra.
- The Full Coverage Butterfly Bra is a style that is another customer favorite and is ideal for women who want a comfortable bra that offers full coverage. It has wide straps and underwire contour cups to lift and support. It comes in several styles, including floral print, navy blue, and black. Sizes are available from 38 to 46, with cup sizes running from D to DDD. It ranges in price from about $40 to just under $50. Fashion blog Everything Curvy and Chic recommends this bra for its comfort, smooth look under clothing, and great support and shape, but cautions to avoid plunging necklines when wearing this bra.
For more than 130 years, Chantelle has been shaping and supporting the bustlines of women and continues to be one of the leading bra brands. The full support bra collection designed in France includes a range of styles made of stretch materials in mesh or lace, in both neutral tones and a few bold colors. Sizes are 36 - 44 band and D-I cup sizes. Chantelle bras have fully adjustable straps that offer minimal shoulder slippage and low plunging cups to complement v-neckline tops. The wide band provides a smooth look and support, with bras costing around $70-$90.
- A gorgeous bra can make all the difference underneath an outfit. The Merci Lace Unlined Bra is a stretch lace bra that lifts for all day comfort and support and elongates the waist. The cup size for this style ranges from D-G with band sizes ranging from 32-44. Colors offered are Taupe and Paradise Pink, and both styles cost around $80. Lingerie review site Guilty-pleasures.org loves how the Merci bra collection lifts, shapes and rounds a woman's breast.
- The Rive Gauche Full Coverage Unlined Bra is one of the brand's best sellers. Whether you need a bra to wear under your favorite office or night out dress, this bra style will smooth your back and sides. The three-row hook bra provides comfort and support for those who wear band sizes 32-44 and cup sizes D-H. Colors offered in this style include Crimson and Lavender and it costs around $90. Lacyhint.com refers to the Rive Gauche as "the one" in a review because of the full coverage this particular style provides women. The bra style has been noted as the number one bra for fuller figures on Rank & Style, and reviewed as pretty, sexy and comfy by Bustle.com
- The Chantelle Revele Moi Full Figure Underwire Contour bra is similar in style to the Rive Gauche. It is unlined yet supportive, contouring for a gorgeous shape. The sheer and lace cups are perfect when you want a sexier style underneath a date-night dress or just to feel great everyday. Available in black, Mon Cheri (pink), and nude, it costs just under $85 and comes in band sizes 30 to 40 and cup sizes D to F. Recommended on Oprah.com, the Revele Moi is great for sexy everyday lift and support.
Since 1921, Glamorise has been dedicated to designing supportive bras for full-figured women. Within the brand's lineup are three different collections to complement the diverse lifestyle needs of women. These include Elegance by Glamorise, Glamorise Essentials, and Glamorise Sport. Ranging from 38-50 in bands and C-H in cup sizes, the bras come in several bra styles that include posture back support, minimizers, magic lift and front hooking. Bra selections by Glamorise range in cost from under $25 to under $70, and come in neutral colors and bright hues made of lace and nylon.
- For plus size women who participate in high impact sports, the No Bounce Cami Sport is a superb choice. The cups are made of moisture wicking fabrics to keep you comfortable while you sweat. This sports bra style costs around $35 and comes in band sizes 34-50 in cup sizes C-G in colors white, black, tan, gray and blue. Verywell.com credits the No Bounce Cami Bra as a sports bra that won't give the appearance of a 'uniboob'.
- Another option for active women is the Glamorise Double Layer Custom Control Sport bra. Available in pink/orange, grey/white and grey/black, the bra has an adjustable outer panel for customized fit, wide stay-put straps, and an under band for extra support for about $55. Sizes run from 32 to 46 and cup sizes up to H. The bra gets 4.5 star reviews from buyers on HerRoom.com, and it was slated as one of the best for women with large busts according to NewYorkMagazine.com.
- Give your arms a break from reaching behind to clasp your bra with the Front Closing Stretch Lace style. The Wonderwire® design lace bra clasps in the front and is pretty but also perfect everyday wear. Band sizes range from 36-46 with cup sizes from B-F for around $44 in colors black, tan, and white. This Glamorise bra design gets a 4.5 star review rating on JCPenney.com, and it was listed as one of the best front closure bras on Hub Pages review.
Signs That You Need a New Bra
If you're wondering when you need to get a new support bra, there are a few signs that will tip you off.
- Back pain is one of the most common results of a non-supportive bra.
- Shoulder strain is another problem that can indicate you need a better bra.
- Worn straps, or straps that dig into your shoulder, can be a sign you need better support.
- In addition, a visible sign that a bra doesn't support your breasts are unsightly side and back bulges.
Remember that a non-supportive bra can cramp your style as well as ruin your look and posture.
Benefits of Supportive Bra
If you've been suffering underneath your clothing with loose rising bands, bra cups that are not properly fitting or made of cheap materials, the time has come for a bra makeover. Revive your lingerie drawer with one of the best bra brand picks that have structure and will support your breasts.