Plus size body shapers are foundation garments designed to slim the curves you don't love and enhance the curves you do love so that your clothes drape and cling to flatter your figure the way you want. Even if the term "body shaper" is new to you, you've probably already owned a basic body shaper in the form of a pair of control top pantyhose or a push up bra.
Full Body Plus Size Shapewear
Full body shapewear is usually what people think of when they think of Spanx - a compression garment that is usually high-waisted (up to your bust) and also covers your thighs. This type of garment contours your back and waist while thinning your hips and thighs. It can be worn with a skirt, dress, shorts or pants.
The Spanx In-Power Line Super Higher Power Shaper helps create a perfect hourglass shape with its reinforced tummy panel and reinforced thighs. However, there are no elastic bands in the legs to avoid bulges at the edges of the garment. Available in sizes A-G for $38. In black or nude.
Plus Size Thigh Trimmers
Thigh trimmers focus specifically on your hips and thighs. They usually don't go as high as full body shapewear, which makes them best for women who have naturally smaller waists.
- The Easy Up Easy Down Firm Thigh Slimmer is a great choice for a thigh trimmer because, while it only goes up to your belly button, it offers some extra tummy flattening due to the reinforced stomach panel. It has no-roll elastic in the waist so it won't budge and is completely seamless underneath whatever you're wearing. Available in sizes XL-4X for about $30. In black or nude.
A waist cincher is an extra-firm support garment that covers your tummy up to your bust. Instead of stretch material, they are usually made with some boning and a hook-and-eye closure, which may make them uncomfortable to wear for an extended period of time.
- If you want a waist cincher that isn't quite as structured, try the Tummy Shaper by Julie France. This cincher provides firm support rather than extra firm, so it's more comfortable to wear. This waist cincher also sits low on your hips, which prevents awkward bulging at the bottom. In addition, it has removable straps to connect it to your bra to help it stay in place throughout your day. Sizes up to 3X for about $40-45. In black or nude.
- The Miraclesuit Shapewear Inches Off Waist Cincher has boning and hook closures, but also has stretch panels in the sides to allow for more comfort and freedom of movement. The waist cincher rises high in the back to cover any bumps from your bra closure. Available in sizes up to 2X in black or beige for $56.
Plus Size Shaping Camisoles
Camisole shapewear is intended to be worn under fitted tops. It cinches your waist, flattens your stomach, and helps smooth out bra lines. Camisole body shapers may also have bra cutouts so that you can wear your own bra underneath.
- The WYOB Dream Torsette is a firm control camisole with reinforced panels on both front and back, offering all-around waist trimming. This camisole does not cover your bust, so you can mix and match it with any of your favorite bras for custom shaping. Available in sizes XL-4X for about $38. In black or nude.
- The Camisole Shaper by Julie France offers a bra-free option, as it lifts and supports your bust without an underwire. The bodice of the camisole has many different panels specifically designed to trim and slim that specific area of the body. It also has adjustable straps so you can customize the fit to your comfort level. Available in sizes up to 3X for $53-58. In black or nude.
High Waist Plus Size Panties
Shapewear panties have high waists, usually with a reinforced diamond-shaped front panel that flattens the tummy. They can come in a variety of cuts and lengths, and they usually help support your butt to give it a more becoming shape.
- The Panty Shaper with High Waist by Julie France is the tallest panty option, making it perfect for the woman who needs help with more than just her lower stomach. This shaper is seamless, yet manages to have many different panels that ensure that each body part gets exactly the support that it needs for you to look your best. It also has removable straps that attach to your bra to help keep the panty from moving out of place. Available in sizes up to 3X in black or nude for $53-58.
Push Up Bras for Full Figures
Push up bras are the classic body shaper. They help elevate your bust to enhance your cleavage and give you a more firm, full shape.
- The Gossard Superboost Lace Padded Plunge Bra is a cleavage-enhancing choice that comes in a variety of lace colors. It gives you extra support no matter what your bust size is, and the plunge shape means it's low enough for almost any outfit you wear underneath. Available in sizes 30D-44E for $55.
- Looking for something lacy? Look no further than Hips and Curves' Molded Underwire Bra with Push Up. This bra has a slight plunge neckline that enhances your cleavage while offering plenty of support. Available in red, white, and black in sizes 38B-48DD for about $30.
Levels of Support
Before making a purchase, it's important to identify how much support you want from your body shaper.
- Light Support - This amount of support isn't very tight. It's primarily used to smooth unsightly bra and panty lines.
- Medium Support - While this level of support also hides bra and panty lines, it also offers a little bit of slimming compression.
- Firm Support - These garments have more compression due to reinforced panels where the compression is desired.
- Extra Firm Support - These garments not only have reinforced panels, but also have extra support such as boning to help mold your body into the desired shape.
Comfort and Style
Whether you're looking for a bra to give you a lift, or a slip that keeps you tucked in, shapewear offers the help you're looking for to tweak your curves. A slimmer-looking waist and trimmer thighs can be as easy as putting on the right underclothes. All you have to do is figure out where you want more support, and pick the best garment for your needs based on that.