Adding plus size patio furniture to your outdoor living area provides comfort and style with additional peace of mind knowing the furniture is sturdy enough. While it can be challenging to find pieces designed to support a plus sized body type, there are options available. If you want to save the time and trouble of driving from store to store looking for plus size patio furniture, browse through the selections offered by online retailers that can ship it conveniently right to you front door.
Hayneedle has a great selection of plus sized patio furniture conveniently categorized on one page. Options start with:
- Large outdoor day beds and sectionals with wide, comfortable cushions
- Oversized Adirondack chairs with 300-400 pound weight capacities
- XXL hammocks that hold up to 750 pounds
- Oversized beach chairs with 300-325 pound weight capacities
Living XL offers a beautiful selection of outdoor furniture in a variety of different designs and styles. Options include:
- Treated Pine Highback Glider from Creekvine Designs: Stationary weight capacity of 750 pounds; seat that measures 48 inches wide and 19 inches deep
- Heavy-Duty Portable Chair: 1,000 pound stationary weight capacity; 26-1/2 inch wide seat; zippered cooler on the left armrest
- Five position folding chaise lounge: 650 pound stationary weight capacity; measures 26-1/2 inches wide and 50 inches long
Conversion Products creates all of their furniture from recycled plastic lumber completely made from recycled high density polyethylene (HDPE) #2 milk jugs. They have a few pieces designed with the needs of plus size customers in mind. Additionally, Conversion Products will custom build any of their furniture items to your specifications or create a new piece from your design. Ready-made choices include:
- Endurance Sebago Rocker Plus: Great-looking rocking chair perfect for relaxing outdoors; seat is 26 inches wide (a full six inches wider than the standard Sebago Rocker)
- Walden Bench: Traditional-style English garden bench that is perfect for people of size
California Outdoor Design Studio
California Outdoor Design Studio offers the ComfortPlus line of outdoor furniture. These stylish designs are made of HDPE and have 30-inch wide seats and an 800 pound weight capacity. The ComfortPlus line includes:
- Chair and ottoman sets
Brylane Home offers a variety of plus size outdoor furniture such as their beautifully designed Extra Wide Textured Vinyl Outdoor Cushioned Recliner and the Extra Wide Outdoor Glider, which supports up to 450 pounds.
Brylane Home also offers:
- Extra Wide King Kong Folding Camp Chair: Weight capacity of 800 pounds; inside seat measurements of 24 inches wide and 20 inches deep
- Extra Wide Sports Bench: Weight capacity of 300 pounds; 40 inch wide seat
- Extra Wide Outdoor Rocking Chair: Supports up to 350 pounds
- Oversized Director's Chair: supports up to 350 pounds; has a flip-up side table
What to Look for When Shopping
Plus size furniture pieces are not only made larger, they are also more durable and better constructed than average size patio pieces. Made with extra inches of seating, high quality materials and added reinforcements, plus size furniture typically costs more than average size furniture.
- Look for extra wide seats and additional padding for added comfort. Adirondack chairs are a good choice since they are oversized and made from high quality wood.
- Look for sites that offer free shipping on orders over a certain dollar amount but also watch for additional freight charges on heavier items.
- Before purchasing plus size lawn furniture, verify the dimensions of each piece to ensure that you are getting the size and weight capacity you want.
- Chaise lounges should not only have extra padding and wider seats, but should also have extra reinforcement since they will be supporting your entire body.
- Select an oversized hammock that can fit two or more people instead of seeking out one specially made for plus size individuals. Many double hammocks are designed with steel support beams and can hold up to 750 pounds.
If you are unable to find exactly what you are looking for, keep in mind that many online sites take custom orders and can make plus size furniture with the dimensions you need. You may also be able to find a custom furniture craftsperson in your local area who can build a few pieces to your specifications.