With so many choices on the market today in full-figured intimate apparel, no woman should overlook what is now available in plus size retro lingerie.
About Retro Lingerie
If you aren't sure what retro lingerie -- also called vintage lingerie -- in plus sizes entails, take a look at the pinup girls from the 1940s and 1950s. Their lingerie is bold, sexy and definitely makes a statement for those living in that era. The women wearing this lingerie were robust and not shy about showing off their curves. However, they wore these types of garments to be glamorous; beauty came before comfort.
Today, many designers are trying to imitate that image by creating undergarments -- and in some cases outergarments -- that mirror what was worn 50 and 60 years ago. But this time, they are adding a bit of modern-day appeal to the garments -- updates that include more comfortable fabrics (such as Spandex and micro-fiber) and a variety of sizes. Some of the more popular styles of plus size retro lingerie include:
- Bras (bullet, sling and long line)
- Girdle dresses (also known as corselets)
- Garter belts
- Panties (French knickers, briefs and boy shorts)
- Full- and half-slips
Vintage Lingerie Makes a Comeback
With all of the possibilities in plus size lingerie available, why are designers looking to the past? Well, to look to the future of intimate apparel, they must first look at its history. First is its purpose, which has remained the same over time. But the sexual revolution of the 1960s and 1970s changed undergarments from being a necessity to becoming an optional accessory. Women are no longer required to wear bras under clothing, just like they don't have to wear stockings or nylons with a dress or skirt.
Today's vintage lingerie has sex appeal and is made with comfortable fabrics. Many plus size women still adore and feel comfortable wearing intimate apparel that looks vintage, but looks and feels a little bit sexier. Long gone are the days of scratchy polyester bras and girdles that are so tight, it not only gives you a prominent muffin top, but leaves marks on your skin when you take them off.
Today's plus size retro lingerie is made from a variety of fabrics, including:
Find Plus Size Retro Lingerie
Vintage lingerie in plus sizes can be tricky to find. If you would rather narrow it down by designer, look for these manufacturers of true vintage lingerie:
- Van Raalte
- Gotham Gold Stripe
Also, here are a few online shops:
- Pandoras Choice: Based in the United Kingdom, this company carries a variety of plus size vintage panties, corsets, girdles, bras and suspender belts. Some of the items look like they are built for necessity, while many look as if they are designed for comfort. Pandoras Choice ships worldwide. Sizing charts are available to convert the UK sizes to those used in the United States and elsewhere.
- Babygirl Boutique: This West Coast lingerie company has a large selection of retro lingerie in plus sizes. Choose from waist cinchers (some are even boned!), babydolls, garter belts, stockings, open bottom girdles, chemises and pinup panties. Check out the site for a few vintage fantasy costumes too!
- Hips and Curves: You really have to do a page-by-page search for retro lingerie on this site, but it is there. For instance, these Rhumba panties have a fashionable ruffle and garter straps that give them vintage appeal. Other retro garments on this site include waist cinchers, party gloves, garter belts and fantasy costume shoes.
A Final Note
Like any intimate apparel purchased by women, it must be comfortable in order to be worn. Not only fabric comfort is needed, but style and design too. Don't purchase an item solely because you like its "antique look." Make sure it will be an item you, as a plus-sized lady, will feel good wearing.