Plus size sweaters can take you through the greater part of a year, depending on where you live. There are many different styles of sweaters in a variety of colors and price ranges. Find the type that looks best on you, so you'll know how to shop smart for these cold weather essentials.
Shopping for Plus Size Sweaters
There are many different places to shop for sweaters in plus sizes, with sweaters coming in a wide range of different styles, materials, colors and sizes.
Shrugs are a great layering sweater, perfect for wearing over a lightweight shirt on cooler days. A few good resources for shrugs include:
- Roaman's Bolero Cardigan: This cropped cardigan shrug is a lightweight sweater made for layering. It comes in sizes up to 5X and is available in five colors: black, white, pink, purple and sunshine. It retails between $15 and $30.
- Catherine's Shrug Cardigan: Catherine's shrug cardigan is a lightweight cotton blend in a flattering 24-inch length. It comes in sizes up to 5X and is available in acadia, black, white and berry smoothie. It retails for around $35.
Cardigans come in a wide variety of different looks and weights, which makes them ideal for layering all year long. Consider these cardigans as additions to your wardrobe:
- Lucky Open Stitch Cardigan: This cardigan is a relaxed cardigan with an open front. It features a variety of knitted stitches that add interest. It comes in sizes 1X to 3X, and is available in the color, putty. It falls just below the waist and retails for around $100.
- Worthington Long Sleeve Cardigan: This v-neck, button front cardigan is an acrylic knit that is warm but not bulky. It comes in sizes 0X, 1X, 2X and 3X and hits mid-hip in length. It retails for around $25 and comes in five colors: black, white, coral and blue.
Cable knit sweaters have a warm, classic look that pairs well with jeans or dress pants. Take a look at these styles:
- Jessica London Cable Knit Tunic: This cable knit tunic takes the classic look and updates it with belled sleeves and a slight flare over the hips. The cable knit sweater is made from acrylic knit and comes in sizes 12 through 30/32. It's available in 10 different colors, and retails for between $50 and $60.
- Marbled Zip-Front Cable Knit: This heavy cable knit sweater has a stand up collar and zippered front for ultimate comfort and warmth. It's made from a cotton/nylon blend and sits mid-hip. It comes in sizes 12 to 36 and is available in boysenberry pink, navy blue, deep grape lavender, light khaki chocolate, heather gray, and heather charcoal. It retails for $35 to $45 at Macy's.
Cashmere sweaters have a softness that is unmatched by anything else. Add a few to your wardrobe to experience true luxury:
- Talbots Cashmere Crewneck Sweater: The crewneck cashmere sweater from Talbots is a flattering, lightweight sweater with long sleeves that hits right at the hip. It's made of 100 percent cashmere and comes in nine colors. It comes in sizes X to 2X and retails for about $60.
- NYDJ Layered Look Sweater: NYDJ's layered look cashmere sweater from Bloomingdale's is a trendy option. All one piece, the cashmere sweater featured floral print cuffs and a back panel to make it look like you're wearing two layers. The sweater is made of a cashmere blend while the shirt is made of polyester and it comes in sizes 1X through 3X. It retails for around $75.
V-neck sweaters are flattering on a number of different women, no matter what their bust size. Try these styles:
- Simply Be's V-neck Sweater: This flattering v-neck sweater from Simply Be sits low on the hip. It's made from a rayon/polyamide blend and comes in blue, black, gray, camel or red. It's available in sizes up to 28/30 and retails for about $23.
- Roaman's Fine Gauge V-Neck Sweater: This lightweight sweater from Roaman's has a fine gauge with subtle detail in knit. It's made from an acrylic knit and has a loose, relaxed fit. It falls just below the hip and features ribbed cuffs and hem. It's available in sizes up to 4X and in 12 colors. It retails for between $30 and $33.
Before you buy sweaters for the season, make sure you know what to look for so that you select the best choices for your particular body type. When you make most flattering choices, you'll look great for any occasion.
This should be one of your first considerations when shopping for anything. What's your body shape? Once you determine whether you're an hourglass, pear shape, apple or triangle, choosing the most flattering styles becomes easier.
- While V-necklines are complementary to many women, they're great for elongating shorter frames.
- If your body is an hourglass, choose styles that accentuate your natural waistline.
- Apple or pear shapes don't want to emphasize their waists, so select sweaters that have a lot of visual interest around the neck, which will draw eyes upward.
Yes, black is slimming (as are most dark colors), but you shouldn't feel confined to black if you're into patterns, or bright colors like red, pink and orange.
- If you're proud of your curves and don't want to plan your wardrobe around what makes you appear smaller, then by all means wear colors that flatter you and make you look radiant.
- Splashes of color can be flattering to curves and add visual appeal; A vibrant cardigan, worn over a neutral colored dress or top, can do a lot to brighten up your entire look.
- When choosing patterns, keep design placement in mind. It is best to wear patterns on the places you want to accent, while wearing solid and/or darker colors on the body parts you want to downplay.
A great fit is crucial for making the most of your look. You need to wear clothing that fits just right. When it comes to sweaters, you don't want anything clingy, but you also want to avoid anything that's loose and baggy. Neither of these extremes will do your body good.
If you need shapewear to keep your curves under control, then wear it. These useful undergarments can make a pullover sweater skim your curves in a very attractive, feminine way.
Ways to Wear Your Sweaters
While some women only use their plus size sweaters as ways to ward off the cold, you can make serious style statements with yours. Try these outfit suggestions:
- Slip into a pair of straight legged jeans, a crisp white button-up blouse and a form-fitting cardigan in your favorite color. High-heeled boots or pumps are the perfect footwear. When belts are "in," women with hourglass shapes can add the trendy belt style of the day over the cardi for an up-to-the-minute look.
- A pullover can also be used in the previous outfit instead of a cardigan.
- Pullovers look good with khakis, long skirts, knee-length skirts and a variety of slacks. Your sweaters should fall no lower than hip-length; they're not tunics and aren't made to cover your lower half.
- One look for curvy girls to avoid is the sweater wrapped around the waist. While some women think this disguises their rear end, it only draws more attention to it. If you don't want to accentuate your hips and behind, a much better (and more fashionable option) is to wear bright and/or patterned tops that emphasize the upper half of your body.
Stay Warm in Style
The right sweater can help keep you cozy all year long. Invest in a few good quality sweaters that flatter your figure and sail through all four seasons in style.