Fit is very important in a business suit, and for full-figured women, it makes sense to shop at a store that has a great selection of professional wear for your body type. Whether you're looking for a skirt suit, a pant suit, or mix-and-match separates, there are many great shopping resources out there. These five stores will have what you need to look put-together and polished for your next job interview or important meeting.
If you're looking for a classic, high quality suit, Land's End is a great shopping resource. This is the place to find traditional suit separates to fit a wide range of sizes.
Traditional fabrics and cuts make the suits at Land's End the ideal choice for women who need sophisticated but conservative business attire. Consider these attractive looks:
- The Women's Washable Wool One-Button Blazer is a classic business look. The wool blend fabric is easy to care for, and the princess seams and attractive flap pockets make this a stylish, feminine choice. It comes in black and navy in sizes up to 34W and retails for $175. Matching pants retail for $95. You can choose from three styles: Plain Front Comfort Trousers in sizes up to 26W, Pleat Front Comfort Trousers in sizes up to 34W, and Straight Modern Pants in sizes up to 26W.
- The Two-Button Gabardine Blazer is another great option. The 98% wool navy blue fabric has great drape, and princess seams provide a structured fit. It comes in sizes up to 34W and retails for $120. There are two styles of matching pants, both retailing for $65. The Stretch No Waist Gabardine Trousers and the Pleat Front Traditional Gabardine Trousers both come in sizes up to 34W.
Land's End merchandise is available through the website, as well as a mail-order catalog. You can also use the store locator to find a Sears that carries Land's End products.
On Epinions.com, consumer reviews about Land's End are mostly very positive. Shoppers praise the quality clothing, good customer service, and easy returns.
Land's End has several different shipping options, depending on how quickly you need the suit. The cost of shipping depends on your location.
Returns are easy, and if you are reordering the suit in another size, shipping is free.
With its combination of great selection, designer names, free shipping, and free returns, it's hard to beat Nordstrom for plus size clothing, including business attire. You'll find a number of different suits that may be perfect for your needs.
Nordstrom sells most suits as separates, so you can individually choose the size of the top and bottom pieces to perfectly fit your body. Consider this attractive style:
- If you're a fan of the flowing look of an open blazer, try the Louben Seamed Jacket. This beautiful black blazer is constructed of triacetate and polyester for a spectacular and slimming drape. It's fully lined and hits at the hip. The matching Louben Straight Leg Pants have the same sleek and sophisticated style and a simple flat front, as well as a hidden elastic waist in back. Both pieces come in sizes up to 24W. The jacket retails for $358, and the pants are $158.
Nordstrom has stores in many malls and shopping centers throughout the country, and you can also shop online. To find a store near you, use the Find Stores tool to enter your zip code or city and state.
According to consumer reviews on Reseller Ratings, Nordstrom has a great selection and quality merchandise. Some consumers feel that the free shipping can take too long, so if you need your suit in a hurry, you may want to pay for faster service.
Nordstrom has a no-hassle return policy, and you can return items at the store or through the mail. Shipping is free both ways. Two-day and next-business-day shipping are available as well.
Specializing in stylish clothing for full-figured women, Lane Bryant is a great place to go for of-the-moment business wear styles. If you need something on-trend and affordable, this is a great bet.
Lane Bryant sells suits as separates, including skirts, trousers, and jackets. This brand's styles are specially designed and cut to flatter a curvy figure, so they look great.
You can shop online at the Lane Bryant website or try on the suit at one of their retail stores. Use the store locator to find a location near you.
Reviewers on Epinions.com have many good things to say about the Lane Bryant shopping experience, especially the stylish selection available. However, some consumers report quality issues with the clothing and problems with employee training in the stores.
Lane Bryant has free shipping to any of its retail stores. You can order your suit online and then pick it up at the store closest to you. If you don't like it, you can return it to the store without hassle.
One of the best places to find a variety of suit sets is Jessica London. This is also the place to shop if you're looking for a very affordable suit, since you can easily get a complete look for around $100.
You'll find separates and suit sets at Jessica London. Consider one of these options:
- Three-Piece Suit Wardrober will give you two complete looks and is available in four pretty colors. The ruffled front jacket is fitted and flattering, and it perfectly complements the wide-leg pants and pencil skirt. The suit set comes in sizes up to 28 and retails for $130.
- If you like a skirt suit, consider the Double-Breasted Skirt Suit, which comes in eight colors. It features an attractive blazer that hits low on the hips and a 35-inch-long straight skirt. It comes in sizes up to 32 and retail for $80.
Jessica London does not have brick and mortar stores, but you can purchase all looks right from the website.
According to reviews from Bizrate, most consumers are very satisfied with the shopping experience at this retailer. Jessica London received very high ratings for their quick delivery and its well-designed website.
Jessica London has free shipping on all orders of $150 or more. Shipping prices for smaller orders depend on your location.
Returns are easy if you aren't happy with the suit. The cost of return shipping is $7.50.
Macy's sells plus size business suits from a number of top designers. This is a good place to shop if you're looking for a quality suit and a designer name.
Suits at Macy's come as separates or as complete looks. Many are sold in collections of matching pieces. Consider one of these beautiful looks:
- The Tahari by ASL Plus Size Suit is a complete look, consisting of a pinstriped blazer and matching pants. A stylish single rectangular button closes the jacket, and the pants have a very modern flared style. This suit comes in sizes up to 24W and retails for about $210.
Macy's has retail stores in most shopping malls. You can use the store locator to find one near you or simply shop online.
According to reviews on Epinions.com, Macy's has great selection and good merchandise. However, many consumers report problems with returning items. If you're shopping online, be sure to keep all receipts and return unwanted items promptly.
Macy's offers several different shipping options and has rush delivery in case you need your suit right away. Prices depend on your location.
You can return items in store or through the mail. You'll need your receipt. You can return items at any time after your purchase, but according to the consumer reviews on Epinions, it's best not to wait too long.
Professional Plus Size Looks
No matter where you choose to shop, you'll have lots of options for professional plus size looks. Don't setting for shapeless blazers and unflattering skirts when you have many stylish and sophisticated suits to choose from.