Women's extra large socks are necessary if you wear longer or wider shoes. They can be hard to find unless you know where to shop and understand the basics of socks, including how they are are sized.
Purchasing Extra Large Socks
Finding extra large socks for women should not pose a problem. They can be purchased in many retail or discount stores as well as on various plus size stores online. Some sites to check out include:
Woman Within features plus size socks and hosiery in a variety of styles and colors. Some choices to consider are:
- Rib Knit Socks: These socks come six in a pack and are a must for any woman's collection. They come in sizes 1X and 2X and in your choice of colors such as White, Black or Assorted. Assorted gives you the option of choosing from a mix of Khaki, Green Lake, Rose, Royal Blue, Egret, Heather and Gray or a mix of Black, White, Chocolate, Hunter Green, Berry And Navy. All socks are done in a blend of cotton and nylon and have non-binding tops.
- Multi Textured Trouser Socks: These trouser socks come in sizes XL and XXL and are sold in a package of six. They feature extra wide, soft comfort tops and are made from nylon. They come in your choice of Solid, Textured or a mix of both.
- Open Weave Socks:These extra-wide cotton socks are available in seven basic colors in sizes 1X or 2X.
JMS Just My Size
JMS Just My Size sells socks from top brands such as Hanes, Champion, World's Softest Sock and Body Cozy. Socks are all extra sized and come in a variety of styles from athletic to dress. Some styles to check out are:
- World's Softest Sock Knee High Sock: This pair comes in sizes 9-11 or 10-12 and in an array of colors such as Periwinkle, Pink, Red, Navy, Light Gray, Stone, Black and White. The knee highs are soft inside and out and have a cushioned toe and heel.
- Body Cozy Slumber Sock: This sleep sock style comes in one size fits most and is done in a super soft and fuzzy blend of polyester and spandex. It comes in Hot Bright Pink, Light Pink, Light Blue, Lilac and White.
- Hanes No Show Sport Sock: These socks come in a pack of six and are perfect for any activity. They fit shoe sizes five to nine and are done in a soft cotton knit that wicks moisture from the skin. They stretch generously to fit your foot and have a cushioned sole and a no show top that won't slide down.
Lane Bryant features a mix of extra large socks in the latest styles and colors. Some styles to check out are:
- Low Cut Socks: These socks are sold in packs of three and feature cute patterns such as Waves, Plaid, Argyle, Polka Dots and Stripes. They are soft and very comfortable and feature a reinforced toe and heel. They are done in a blend of polyester, spandex and rubber and come in one size fits most.
- Low Cut Cushioned Socks: These socks are sold in packs of two and come in solid white making them ideal to wear with just about anything. They come in one size fits most and are made from a blend of rayon, nylon, spandex, polyester and rubber. These socks are ultra soft and are infused with aloe.
Catherine's sells socks for those needing an extended size. This site features a wide array of styles such as:
- Cotton Sole Trouser Socks: These knee high socks have a textured sole and are made from a knit blend of nylon and spandex. They have wide cuffs and are sheer and comfortable to wear. These socks come in one size that fits sizes 10-13 and in colors such as Black, Navy and Khaki.
- Scallop Ribbed Ankle Socks: Choose between White or Navy for these great socks. The socks have a form-fitting rib and scalloped cuffs. They come in one size that fits sizes 10-13.
- Light Floral Socks: These socks are done in a delicate floral design in your choice of Ivory or Black. They are done in a longer length that is made to fit above the ankle. These socks are constructed from a blend of polyester and spandex and come in one size that fits sizes 10-13. Other variations of this style are Giraffe Print, Poodle Print and Scattered Stripe
Find women's socks in larger widths from Footsmart. Athletic and dress socks in a range of basic styles are available in women's styles, and diabetic socks are also sold. Look for features like seamless openings, roomy fits, and comfortable fabric blends. Top sellers include:
- Soft Fit Cotton Socks: Non-binding construction, a soft cotton knit and seven color choices make these socks a comfortable basic.
- Simcan Comf EEZ: Soft MicroSupreme fabric socks are created to stay put but not constrict on wider calves.
Many women wear the wrong size sock because they don't know there is a larger size available or they can't find a retailer that sells larger sized socks. Wearing the wrong size for your foot can cause several issues. For example:
- If the sock is too short: Strain is placed on your toes which could lead to hammer toes or ingrown toe nails.
- If the sock is not wide enough: You run the risk of feet becoming overheated which is uncomfortable and can lead to athlete's foot.
- If the top of the sock is too small: It will cut into your ankle and leg, which is uncomfortable and may cause circulation problems.
Buying socks can be really confusing unless you have average-sized feet, ankles and legs. The sizes printed on the labels on women's socks are sock sizes, not shoe sizes. Specifically, socks labeled:
- Fits 9-11 are sized to fit a women's narrow or medium width foot that wears a size 6 to 11 shoe.
- Fits 10-13 are sized to fit a woman's medium or wide foot that wears a size 8 to 12 shoe. This is usually the best size for women's extra large socks.
- Check each brand or store for their size specifications. Some stores offer socks labeled super size, extra roomy or oversized.
Fashion and Comfort
Sometimes you wear socks as fashion statement. Other times you wear them simply for comfort or to keep your feet warm. Regardless of the reason you wear them, it is important that they fit correctly. With the many styles of women's extra large socks available, you can choose from a wide selection of styles in light or heavyweight fabrics that provide both fashion and comfort.