Women's tall plus size clothing can be difficult to find, especially special occasion clothing. Fortunately, some manufacturers are finally meeting the needs of tall plus size women. Whether you are looking for a glamorous evening gown, an elegant cocktail dress, or a stunning pantsuit, there are lots of options to choose from.
Where to Shop For Special Occasions
The Internet provides access to many excellent online retailers that offer women's special occasion tall plus size clothing. From sophisticated and sexy to sweet and flirtatious, there are styles that are perfect for all types of special events and occasions.
Carrying sizes up to 9x, Sanctuarie Designs offers several sparkly plus size tall evening gowns and dresses to make you look and feel gorgeous during any special occasion. Many of their styles offer an optional matching wrap which gives your gown a totally different look. Sanctuarie Designs includes a chart with heights up to 6'5", and the recommended length to order if you want an evening dress that is approximately floor length.
- Customizable Black & Silver Velvet Sparkly Rhinestone Dress - This dress can be whatever you want it to be - crushed or smooth velvet, regular or low-cut neckline, sleeveless or bell sleeve. It is completely customizable, including the length, so you can get exactly the dress you want. The longer length and velvet make this ideal for winter events, and the dress is suitable for any body shape. This dress starts at around $60.
- Cafe Au Lait Princess Seam Dress - This dress has brown and tan shading throughout the main fabric with a layer of sheer, glittery fabric over it. It has a low cut, ruched bust intended for women with fuller chests. The fabric is stretchy, so you may want to wear some plus size shapewear underneath to help keep your curves smooth. The dress comes with a matching wrap to provide some extra coverage. This choice is perfect for a wedding and starts at around $80.
Long Tall Sally
Long Tall Sally is a great resource for tall plus size women for all of their clothing needs. This site offers all types of clothing, including swimwear, for women 5'8 and above, and tends to carry very classic designs that you will be able to wear for several seasons without worrying about them going out of style. Most of their clothes are offered in sizes 6-20, and you get free shipping with any clothing order of $30 or more.
- Lace Dress - With its forgiving box pleats at the waist, this dress is ideal for the curvy woman who carries her weight in her hips and thighs. The coral, floral lace frock has a fitted bodice with short sleeves and falls to the knee. It's perfect for spring or fall events, but you can pair it with a cardigan and boots to wear it into the fall. Get it in tall sizes 6-18 for about $135.
- Garden Floral Maxi Dress - This off-white maxi dress is decorated with purple, blue, and pink flowers that make it perfect for a spring or summer event such as a wedding or christening. The bust has a faux wrap design, and there is a wide band at the waist which makes the fit ideal for a plus size woman with an hourglass shape. The back of the dress has a shirred panel to ensure a perfect, nonbinding fit and to allow you to move comfortably. It's available in sizes 6-18 for around $135.
- Essential Pencil Skirt - If you love the look of a skirt suit, try Long Tall Sally's pencil skirt. Despite what you may think, pencil skirts are perfect for plus size women because the style needs curves to fill its shape. Additionally, this skirt has pleats at the bottom to give you more room and make it easier to move in. Wear it with a blouse and pearl necklace with or without the matching jacket. The skirt comes in sizes 6-20 for about $75.
Chadwicks of Boston
Chadwicks of Boston is another great resource for the tall plus size woman. This site carries a small but reasonably-priced selection of longer-length wardrobe pieces such as skirts, work pants, and blazers. The styles tend to be conservative and classic, and their tall dresses usually go to size 18.
- Sheath Dress - This lined sheath dress comes in a variety of easy-to-match neutral shades and has darts and seams to help flatter your shape. This style is most suitable for women who carry their weight evenly or who have an hourglass shape. The garment is knee-length and sleeveless, and can be worn alone or with a cardigan or blazer for professional events, or with stylish heels and a statement necklace for an evening out. Customers rave about the fit and quality. Available for around $40 in sizes 6T-18T.
- Flat-Front Pants - Available in a variety of neutral colors, these suit pants are a flattering fit for the tall plus size woman. The bootcut leg opening balances a curvy thigh and the contoured waist makes sure the pants don't fall or sag throughout the day. Pair them with a blazer and a nice blouse for professional events. Available in sizes 6T-18T for around $40.
Old Navy is known for having the most current fashions at low prices and their tall plus size offerings are no different. While most of their items are appropriate for casual daywear, it is worth searching their site because they often have items that would be suitable for a special occasion.
- Women's Floral Chiffon Maxi Dress - This maxi dress is perfect for the tall plus-size woman. It's white with large blue flowers, and the dress is made of loose layers that skim over curves. There's an elastic waist to help give you shape so you don't appear frumpy, and some small ruffles at the armpit to add even more of a feminine touch. Pair this with dressy sandals or wedges in the summer for any outdoor event. Available in tall sizes XS-XXL for around $40.
- Women's Crinkle-Chiffon Maxi Skirt - If you prefer separates instead of a dress, give this skirt a whirl. Even though it's long, it's made of lightweight fabric to help keep you cool at warm events. Black with a leafy pattern, this maxi skirt will complement the curves of a tall plus size woman. Pair with a more fitted top to help balance the shape. Available up to size XXL for around $33.
eShakti is a great resource since every item on the site is customizable. Dresses range from about $60 to about $200, depending on how complicated the style is. They offer classic and retro-inspired items that would be perfect to wear at cocktail parties, weddings, and family events. For any item, for an additional $7.50, you can enter your custom body measurements, including height, and have the dress at your door in a little over two weeks. You can even change elements of the design, such as length or sleeve type.
- Grace Dress - A deep purple, knee-length frock with a leafy lace overlay and cap sleeves, this dress is perfect for the tall plus size woman who carries her weight on the bottom half of her body. The dress has a fitted bodice and a banded waist to emphasize your shape, and the layered full skirt gives you plenty of room to move freely. The Grace Dress starts at around $95 and comes in sizes up to 6X.
- Beaded Illusion Yoke Georgette Gown - This navy gown would look captivating on any body type and is perfect for a black tie event. The bodice of the dress has a sweetheart neckline below a sheer, beaded lace yoke that is cut into a V in back. There is a thick, shirred band at the waist, and a floor-length skirt with a ruffled flounce. This option goes up to size 6X and starts around $100.
Getting the Correct Fit
When a special occasion is on the horizon, you want to look your best. You want your outfit to fit the occasion and be stylish, but it also has to fit your body comfortably, which can be hard for a tall woman wearing clothes meant for someone of average height. If you don't wear a dress made for tall women, waistlines fall higher than they should and floor length dresses end at the ankles. Use the resources above to help find the perfect dress for your occasion and your body so that you can step out confidently wherever you go.