The bohemian look dates to the mid-19th century, when artists and intellectuals adopted easygoing, liberated lifestyles as a departure from traditional society. Women of the time sought the freedom of looser clothing and gypsy-inspired accessories. Bohemian clothing is always in style and still just as comfortable and liberating for full-figured women.
Flattering Bohemian Fashions
Modern Bohemian dress, sometime referred to as "boho," combines gypsy flavoring with the freedom of movement and comfort that originally encouraged many women to embrace the look wholeheartedly. Hallmarks of this look include:
- Long, flowing skirts
- Brightly-colored flowing tops
- Bold jewelry
- Comfortable shoes
- Hair worn hanging loose
This bold, striking look is a figure flattering one for full-figured women because easy-fitting, unstructured tops, bottoms and dresses hide bulges and add feminine flair. Flowing, gauzy tops conceal tummy rolls and distract the eye with intricate details like beading, embroidery or fringe, while scarves and belts create the illusion of willowy, hourglass shapes. Whether you want to add a touch of bohemian charm or you're ready to go all the way, many beautiful boho styles are adaptable for work, play and pleasure.
Shop for Bohemian Plus Size Clothing
It's not always easy to find bohemian clothing, but the following shops offer great selections. They also garner praise from the media, as well as their customers.
At eShakti, you can buy full-figured bohemian fashions off the rack or have them customized to suit your measurements and preferences. The store offers a wide range of clothes with strong, boho-style elements like batik printed tops, colorful peasant and tunic tops, as well as easy-fitting skirts and slacks in stunning prints and embellishments. Most items are made of 100% cotton, thus adhering to the back-to-nature aspect of bohemia.
Shipping is based on order totals, and items can be returned within 30 days. Prices start around $30 and go to over $100, with most prices ranging between $30 and $80. Sizes include XL to 6X.
Huffington Post featured eShakti on their list of the best stores for plus size gals because of their extensive inventory of extended size clothing. The Morning Blend highlighted them for their unique customizing services.
Add some boho flair to your wardrobe with pieces like:
- Tiered Batik Print Tunic: From the dainty neckline to the loosely-flowing body to the curved hem providing coverage for larger backsides, this vibrant ethnic-print top is totally boho. Made of cotton for comfort and durability, the blue batik print goes as well with jeans as it does with skirts or slacks. It's available in sizes 1X to 6X for under $50.
- Floral Tile Print Slim Pants: Look long, lean and sexy when you pair these tapered slacks with a hip-skimming top and low-slung belt. They feature a boho-inspired floral print, a stretchy polyester blend fabric for freedom of motion, and an adjustable, pull-on waist for all day comfort. Choose from sizes 1X to 6X and expect to spend around $60.
IGIGI is known for sexy, chic plus size fashions with an emphasis on separates and special occasion dresses. True to that reputation, their Bohemian Rhapsody collection consists of mostly dresses. While this is a small grouping, it includes a fair mix of tops and bottoms useful for layering or as mix-and-match components. Designs come in sizes 18/20 to 30/32 with good inventory representation in all sizes except 30/32.
Price points range from under $25 to around $160, and package weight and destination determine shipping costs. IGIGI offers a 45-day window for merchandise returns; "Final Cut" items are non-returnable.
Vote of Confidence
Shop with confidence as you browse IGIGI's selection of boho styles. The store enjoys the number one spot on CBS SF Bay Area's list of Best Plus-Size Clothing in San Francisco.
Shop online or visit one of their store locations to browse their selection of bohemian styles, which include:
- Delray Maxi Plus Size Skirt in Ocean Wave: This easy-fitting, draped maxi skirt features classic boho elements such as the A-line skirt's gentle flare, the comfortable elastic waist, and the back godet for free range of motion. The multi-colored diagonal stripes are slimming and conceal any tummy fullness or larger hips. It retails for under $49 and comes in sizes 18/20 to 30/32.
- Seneca Plus Size Maxi Dress in Teal Tango: Few details embody the heart of boho styling like vivid paisley prints, and this brilliant teal frock is a perfect example of the carefree look of paisley. It features a draped neckline, which flatters most body types because it focuses attention on the facial features, as well as a gathered waist to conceal the tummy area, and a gently flared skirt that skims over curves by creating no additional bulk. The retail price is under $70 in sizes 18/20 to 26/28.
ModCloth offers an extensive selection of bohemian clothing at prices any would-be boho chick can manage, but their designs are particularly attractive to the youthful, vibrant full-figured woman. Prices vary from around $15 to under $200 for tops, bottoms, dresses and accessories, and they offer a nice inventory in sizes 1X to 4X.
Order $50 or more to enjoy free shipping and return items within 30 days for store credit, refund or exchange under their return policy.
Praise From Media and the BBB
An article in REDBOOK praised ModCloth as one of "14 amazing sites that get plus size right." In addition, they are a BBB Accredited Business with an A+ rating.
You can pull together most of an authentic boho wardrobe with selections like:
- Back Road Ramble Top in Black: Slip into stylish comfort when you don this easy-fitting tunic. It's loaded with bohemian details like a crinkled fabric yoke, pin-tucked bodice, and softly-gathered waist. The flowing design disguises hips, while the collarless style creates a vertical line that makes you look taller and slimmer. It's made of 100% cotton and for under $35, it might become your favorite go-to piece. Sizes range from XL to 4X. Customer reviewers gave it thumbs up for the right fit, good length, and great quality.
- Ethereal Girl Dress: You'll look like a fairy princess in this floaty, folkloric maxi dress, which is flattering for most body types because of its full skirt and princess seam bodice. It features an ornate boho-inspired yoke, embroidered dots on a mesh overlay, and satin lining. The deep, plunging back is a smart choice because backs do not get the environmental exposure faces and necks do and typically look satiny soft and sexy. It's available in creme-brulee in sizes 18 to 24 for around $135. Reviews from customers were mostly positive about the perfect length and quality, but they also noted the sizes ran large.
Roaman's is known for providing affordable clothing and accessories in apparel sizes 1X to 7X, shoes sized to 13WW, and sizes to 56J in bras. Their bohemian collection is small, but it offers a wealth of variety in peasant tops and tunics, embellished jeans and skirts, and gauze or maxi dresses in prices ranging from around $30 to just under $100.
Roaman's has a 90-day return and exchange policy, and shipping charges are based on order totals.
Most Bizrate reviewers give Roaman's high ratings for criteria like on-time delivery, accuracy of charges, and superior product selection, while StellaService awards them an excellent rating for a proven record of accomplishment in customer service.
Boho Style Examples
You'll receive compliments every time you wear styles like:
- Gauze Dress: You'll feel comfortable yet glamorous on special occasions or at intimate dinners when you wear this attractive, peasant-style dress. It features feminine boho touches like wide lace flowers on the sleeves, hemline, yoke and skirt tiers and angel sleeves. An unstructured silhouette like this is universally flattering because it provides concealment for almost any problem area. Choose from white or purple in sizes 18W to 32W for under $32. Customer reviews were primarily positive with kudos for its figure-flattering style and ease of care.
- Boho Floral Tunic by Denim 24/7: This amazing tunic is quintessential bohemian with its bell sleeves, floral print, and generous, oversized fit. The floral front panels elongate and slim the look of the torso, while the below-the-hip length gives you a lot of coverage for problematic thighs and hips. It's available in sizes 18W to 32W in three solid color/print combinations and costs under $50. The majority of customers who purchased this piece commented positively on its comfort and great color, while mentioning it was perfect for casual wear.
If you can't find the bohemian clothing in plus sizes to fit you, and it's a style you love, you might search the thrift stores to look for boho-flavored pieces and patterns. Even if you have a hard time finding garments, you could discover great accessories like funky jewelry, scarves, shawls and handbags.
Additionally, you could transform an unadorned skirt or dress into something bohemian with items from your local craft and fabric stores, such as appliques, beaded trims, and ribbons. Even if you have little sewing experience, you can add ribbons or lace to a skirt's hem. Pair that with a fringed shawl tied around your waist and beaded or feathered jewelry, and claim your place in the world of bohemia. No matter how you come by your bohemian attire, you'll add a creative, stylish element to your wardrobe with such unique pieces.
Traditionally, plus size bohemian clothing pieces were second-hand, recycled or re-purposed, or hand-made garments. Iconic Bohemians didn't have much money, so they pulled ensembles together with whatever they had or could find and used them to express their creativity and individuality. Today, there are many more options for finding boho-style clothing in extended sizes so you don't have to depend on vintage or thrift stores to find the items you want. Keep looking until you find those that offer the styles you like and feel great in, and you'll find going boho is easy and fun.