Whether you are dressing for a special night on the town, an evening wedding or a stroll down the red carpet, wearing the perfect full figure long evening gown makes you look beautiful and feel confident.
Flattering Evening Gown Styles for the Full Figure
When it comes to finding the right evening gown for that special event, knowing which styles of full figure long gowns flatter your figure and show off your curves makes it easier to choose the best gown for your body type.
- A-line gown: A style that flatters every body shape is the A-line gown. With its tailored top that fits closely to the body and its gentle flare that widens like the letter A, an A-line gown is a style that is graceful and elegant. Wearing an A-line style gives balance to your bust and torso while elegantly disguising a large derriere and full hips.
- Princess gown: A variation of the A-line style is the Princess gown. This style has vertical panels that emphasize the clean flowing lines of the A-line gown running from the neckline to the hem. The lines of the Princess gown create a long, slimming look minimizing the hip and tummy area.
- Empire gown: A classic style reminiscent of the tunics of ancient Greece and Rome, the empire style evening gown is a wonderful way to hide a heavy mid section. With its high waist, gently fitted just below the bust, and flowing, slightly loose skirt, this style beautifully hides a large waist and tummy while flattering your curvy figure. The Empire Waist Plus Size Maxi Sweetheart Dress from the Rose Gal is an excellent example of a stunning empire waist gown.
- Ball gowns: Evening gowns that evoke a fairy tale style with the look of Cinderella at the ball are aptly called ball gowns. These gowns have a fitted bodice that extends to a tapered natural or dropped waist and a flowing full skirt. This style gown highlights the bust area while hiding the hips. With its form fitting bodice, a ball gown gives an hourglass look to those with a large bust. This style works well for plus sizes who are well-proportioned.
- Sheath style gowns: A sheath style gown is cut to fit close to the body. Although it is a more tailored style, it can be flattering for fuller figures because it provides a slim silouhette. If you are very self-conscioius about your curves, however, this style may not be the right choice.
Buying Plus Size Long Evening Gowns
Although many retail stores do carry full figure and plus size evening dresses, often there is a limited selection of styles and designs. Shopping online offers you access to more options in sizes, colors, styles and fabrics than you can find by shopping at brick and mortar stores in your neighborhood. However, if you decide to order your evening gown from an online shop, make certain to follow the exact measurement guidelines for the specific website.
Darius Cordell Fashion Ltd.
Any of the exquisite evening gown designs of designer Darius Cordell can be custom made in any size and color using the fabric of your choice. According to their website, made to order models start at $500 and can be shipped to the US or internationally,
Shop at Macy's for elegant yet affordable long evening gowns that are perfect for guest of the wedding or bridal attire, parties and proms. Browse selections from top designers like Alex Evening, R & M Richards, Marina and Trixxi. Sizes range from 1X to 3X in price points from $25 to $250.
Whether you are headed to a formal event or are part of a bridal party, Roaman's offers an attractive selection of long gowns in sizes 14W-44W. Some shopping perks featured here are the deferred payment plans and the Style Rewards rebates.
You'll find a fabulous selection of full figured gowns at Sydney's Closet that are absolutely perfect for your next formal ball, black tie event, or military ball. Prices range from under $100 to $500, and you can browse selections by designers such as Sydney's Closet, Night Moves, and Mori Lee.
The Evening Store
The Evening Store specializes in evening wear and offers both fit and style in dresses that are fully lined and zip in the back. The size chart helps you find the right fit for your dress, and The Evening Store also offers their designer's e-mail address along with an invitation to send him your dress size information with a few measurements. This personal service helps customers relax and know they are cared for and that their dress will really fit.
When a special occasion calls for a long, elegant gown, women today have a wonderful selection to achieve the look of their dreams. However, don't put off shopping for your dress, because you may have to order the exact style you want. You don't want to be forced to settle for a dress that isn't what you had in mind. Make sure it fits your bust, with darts lined up to flatter your figure. When you do find the right dress, allow yourself time to find comfortable shoes, the right bra and any jewelry or other accessories you might want to add for that splash of pizzazz.