Creating your own undergarments might seem intimidating, but with the right pattern, you can sew pretty ones in just a few hours. Whether you're a beginner or your sewing skills are more advanced, there some resources available for plus size lingerie patterns. The following retailers may have just what you need for your next sewing project.
Seamwork offers quick and easy patterns you can buy at regular prices or with credits from the monthly membership they offer. The membership starts at about $7, and it includes new patterns, ideas, and inspiration delivered right to your inbox. All patterns are digital, and they include size charts, fit guides (where necessary), illustrations, and a list of supplies you'll need. The company currently offers eight patterns in plus sizes. Though some only go up to size 18, others go up to size 26 or 3XL. Here are some styles to keep in mind:
- Geneva Panties: This easy pattern comes in three styles and retails for about $12. Version 1 can be made with a jersey knit, then as your skills improve, you can make versions 2 and 3 with other trims, fabrics, and laces. These low-rise panties come in sizes XS-3XL.
- Ariane Bodysuit: Bodysuits are incredibly versatile. You can wear them with skirts and jeans or layered under a cozy cardigan. It includes fully lined bra cups you can modify for better support. This particular bodysuit can be made with mesh or lace to be used as an undergarment. Priced around $12, it comes in sizes ranging from XS-3XL. The pattern includes Misses and Curvy fit guides.
The BurdaStyle pattern website offers only downloadable patterns, but they offer plenty of tips and instructions on how to use them. The brand currently offers 13 different styles in the lingerie and loungewear category, making it a good option because of its selection. Most patterns are rated as beginner or intermediate level. Most lingerie patterns go up to a BurdaStyle size 52, which is equivalent to a plus size 26. In addition to individual patterns, they also offer a six-bundle set set that includes some of their most popular pieces (about $23). Other options include:
Négligée Pattern #125B: Part of the Pretty Woman pattern collection, this is available up to BurdaStyle size 52 for about $6. It is ranked as a novice-level pattern and makes a pretty v-neck négligée with slits on the side and lace accents on the neckline and sides.
Plus Size Bra and Panty Set: A versatile pattern designed to let you customize your own stretchy and comfortable bras and panties, this intermediate-level style comes in up to BurdaStyle size 52, which fits a cup size of DD/E. The pattern retails for about $3 and includes designs for full coverage panties and a shaped-bust bra with optional underwire.
Vogue Patterns is part of The McCall Pattern Company, along with other top names in sewing patterns such as Butterick, McCall's, and Kwik Sew. To find plus size lingerie patterns on the Vogue Pattern website, just click on the "Lingerie & Intimates" category. You can also select your size to narrow results. Currently the company only offers four lingerie patterns, but all are available in Misses sizes 14 to 20 or 14-22. Here are some pattern styles to get you started:
- Misses' V9015 Robe and Chemise: This pattern is for a robe and chemise, with two different styles for the robe and three options for the nightdress. The long- sleeved robe fits loose, has side pockets, and wraps at the waist. The chemise is close-fitting through the bust, and it includes shoulder strap variations. For example, the design labeled D has bows on the straps. The pattern difficulty is rated as average. Sizes range from 14 to 22, and the pattern is under $20.
- Misses' Pattern V888: This pattern includes a robe in two styles, two camisole options, and panties. Both robes have a shawl collar, side pockets, and inside ties. One robe has long sleeves while the other has three-quarter length sleeves. The camisoles are close-fitting with shoulder straps, and one design (E) extends. The panties are semi-fitted below the waist. The pattern is labeled as easy, with sizes range from 14 to 20. It's priced under $20.
Simplicity Patterns offers designs for all body types and sizes. The patterns include instructions and step-by-step illustrations that are easy to follow. Although they have a plus size category, the plus size lingerie patterns are in the regular lingerie section. To find your size, you will need to click through each lingerie pattern-and locate the size. Currently the brand sells two undergarment patterns in plus versions:
- Simplicity 8510 Vintage Brassiere and Panties: This 1930s vintage-inspired bra and panty set comes in sizes 16-20. The set is also available as a printable pattern. For the panties, the side buttons fasten the undies and the second option (B) has a yoke shape. The bra closes at the back and gathers at the front. It comes with the option to add a lace trim to the bra. This vintage sewing pattern is priced under $15.
- Simplicity 8456 Vintage Petticoat and Slip: This pattern, just under $14, is available in sizes 14 to 22 and includes a pretty petticoat with two gathered tiers and a fitted yoke, as well as a full slip with a gathered skirt with lace bands. The slip is fitted through the bodice and has a looser bottom like the petticoat. This is a 1950s vintage style that would be flattering under dresses with full skirts.
Since 1983, Jalie has been known for making multi-sized patterns in hard-to-find styles such as underwear, sportswear, knit tops, swimsuits, and dancewear. While the lingerie section here is limited, there are up to 29 sizes in each pattern, and they are all designed, prototyped, and photographed by the founder, Jeanne. You can read the instructions before purchasing, and the patterns can be printed at home or mailed to you. Here are a couple styles from this mother-daughter company:
- Women's Shapewear: The pattern is for a control brief, waist cincher and shaping shorts. Priced around $11, it includes 17 sizes (from 0-22) and instructions you can download before you buy. The brief includes tummy-control, and it's finished with picot-edge knitted elastic at the waist and leg openings. Shaping shorts feature a stretch lace trim at the leg openings and picot-edge elastic at the waist. The waist cincher is lined, and it has a tummy-control panel on the outside and covered boning on the inside layer.
- Bra and Camisole: This style comes in 17 sizes (from 0 to 22), and it retails for under $15. The bra is wireless, and the camisole has light support. Both items have adjustable straps and can be used as nursing garments with the proper clasps. Before purchasing, watch the tutorial to learn how to sew this pattern.
Another option for finding plus size lingerie patterns is Fabric.com. Their selection is from known brands such as Kwik and Jalie, but the patterns are not labeled as plus size, so you need to click on each item to see if your size is available. This online shop has a 30-day, 'no questions asked' money-back guarantee that excludes items on clearance, swatches, cut fabric, and international shipments. The best thing about shopping here is that you can grab everything you'll need to make your design in one visit. This site currently carries two lingerie patterns in plus sizes:
- Kwik Sew Support Bra Pattern: This bra offers moderate coverage, good lift, and support. Also, it comes with adjustable straps. The pattern includes detailed instructions and easy to follow illustrations. Available in 25 sizes from 32AA - 40 DDD, it retails for just under $13.
- Jalie Underwear Pattern: This is labeled as a family underwear pattern, but it includes underwear options in women's sizes up to 22. Available for just under $13, it includes patterns for women's low-waist bikini underwear and women's low-waisted string bikinis bottoms.
Upgrade Your Lingerie Wardrobe
No matter where you choose to purchase plus size lingerie patterns, you'll have lots of options for all types of undergarments. A lot of the patterns come in different variations to choose from, so when you've mastered one version you can try the next one, and stock your lingerie drawer with handmade goodies.