When you are both plus size and petite, finding clothing that fits right without paying for expensive alterations can be a challenge. Luckily, there are a few retailers who offer plus sizes with the shorter woman in mind.
Where to Buy Petite Plus Size Clothes
Look your best in attire from these retailers that carry clothes to fit your shape and height.
Talbots offers dressy, timelessly styled clothing options for the petite plus sized woman in sizes 12WP through 24WP. Stylish Curves notes that these special sizes at Talbots "will have women kissing their tailors goodbye." The store also made The Curvy Fashionista's list of places to shop.
Look for their clothing online or in stores near you. The website notes that the sizes and merchandise available varies by location, so shop online for the best selection in your size. However, if there is a store near you with a nice selection of petite plus sizes, take advantage of the free personal shopper program and you'll be set with stylish items in no time at all. Just a few things to look at include:
- Ponte Elbow-Sleeve Dress: Add a statement necklace and heels to wear this dress to a cocktail party or add flats and a sturdy purse to wear it to work. The elbow-length sleeves and bateau neck are classic styles that will make it a staple for years. It comes in eight colors like black, wisteria, and aquamarine for around $140. Sizes range from 12WP through 22WP.
Full Beauty bills itself as an 'the premier fashion destination for sizes 12+', and for good reason. It features a variety of clothing brands like Woman Within, Jessica London, Avenue, and Roaman's. The Curvy Fashionista lists it as one of her eight recommended places to shop for petite plus sizes. Shipping is under $3 and signing up for emails often results in getting notified of promotional codes to use for discounted shopping. Just a few options from this online-only shop include:
- Stretch Linen Jacket: Jessica London's jacket is an excellent option to wear to work. The jacket is available in plus petit sizes 12P through 28P. Colors offered include deep grape, black, ivory, and navy blue. Buy it for less than $70.
- Relaxed Fit Jean: This five-pocket jean from Woman Within can be worn running errands or with a jacket to dress it up for dinner. Sizing ranges from 12WP through 38WP, offering something for almost every plus size petite lady. Pricing starts at less than $30, and it comes in white, chocolate, black, khaki, and a variety of denim washes.
Catherines has a petite shop that is tailored to meet the plus size petite woman's body in both casual and wear-to-work options. While available in some stores, the best selection will be found online, as the website notes that the sizes are in selected stores only. CBS Los Angeles named Catherines one of the best plus sized stores, noting their petite and tall size selection. Check out a few of their options:
- Right Fit Pant: These black pants keep wrinkles away in a stretch material that will fit a variety of women's shapes, as they come in sizes 16WP through 34WP. Wear them to work and then out afterward for happy hour. Pick up a pair for under $65.
Just My Size
Just My Size (JMS) is a clothing brand available both on its website and in Walmart stores across the nation. While finding the petite plus sizes at Walmart may prove difficult, there is a selection of items online designed to fit petite full-figured women. These casual and athletic options are perfect for women who want affordable options to wear while running errands, going to a PTA meeting, working out at the gym, or just to lounge in. PlusShe reviewed several items and noted how inexpensive the options were for women who wanted to dress well without spending a lot of money. Examples of JMS's options for petite plus sizes include:
- Stretch-Cotton Jersey Relaxed Pants: These grey heather pants come in petite sizes 1X through 4X. Simply pull them on and you're ready for the day. Nothing extra is on these pants - there's no drawstring or pockets - so you won't have anything adding unnecessary bulk around your waist. Pick them up for an affordable $22.
- Jersey Cardigan: Top off your favorite casual tee or dressy blouse with a comfortable cardigan that hits your hips at the right spot. At only $30, this is one option sure to boost your wardrobe. It comes in petite sizes X through 4X in eight colors, including coral and clematis blue.
Making It Big
Making It Big (m.i.b.) is an online-only retailer that specializes in plus size clothing through 8X, with numerous options in petite cuts for bottoms. Dressy causal and wardrobe staples are a cornerstone of this store's offerings. Affatshionista notes several of her own favorite finds come from m.i.b. The company uses plus size models to highlight their clothing throughout the website, rather than the fashion industry's idea of plus size models. This makes it easy for customers to see what they will really look like in their pieces. Check out these petite options:
- Beau Crop Pants: Pick up this button front short-sleeved rayon shirt in a colorful floral pattern to fit your frame. It costs less than $99 and is perfect for warm-weather events. Find it in sizes 3XP through 7XP.
- Wide Leg Jeans: Wide legged jeans are trendy, and come in sizes 1XP through 6XP. The denim makes them casual enough for everyday comfort, while the wide legged styling allows you to dress them up for date night. They cost less than $80 and come in blue and black.
Online Versus Retail Store Options
Niche stores that cater to plus size petite women often have the best luck hosting online store fronts rather than brick-and-mortar stores in order to reach the most customers. However, as noted above, some stores do have retail spaces that carry a selection of their items. If you happen to live in an area where you can stop into a store to see how the clothing fits, it will make shopping online at those same retailers easy. When you are shopping at online-exclusive stores, make sure you check out their size charts and read the item description to find the right size.
Put Your Best Dressed Body Forward
Being both plus sized and petite can make it difficult to find clothing that fits properly for a variety of occasions. By shopping at stores that carry items made specifically for your body type, you can be assured you're putting your best dressed body forward no matter what life has in store.