Flattering plus size scrub tops can make the difference between your feeling confident at work or your feeling dreary. Generally, scrub tops are designed in a very simple, straight-up-and-down styling with a short sleeve. In fact, many are unisex with identical chest and hip measurements, but this fit isn't flattering for anyone - and particularly not for plus size women. Fortunately, there are a number of figure-flattering alternatives for curvy women.
Solid Scrub Tops in Plus Sizes
With solid scrub tops, you don't have to worry about whether a pattern looks good on you. Instead, you can focus just on fit, style, and fabric. You may want to pick a cotton scrub, since its breathability will keep you cool throughout the day. Polyester is another good choice since it naturally wicks away moisture and has some stretch to it. Styles with great plus size fit include:
- Cherokee Flexibles Scrub Top - For freedom of movement and comfort all day long, try this scrub top with flexible stretch side panels. Stretch fabrics are always a benefit when you get into plus sizes, and are especially valuable in uniforms for careers where you move frequently and don't want to feel restricted. Reviewers rave about the top's flattering, comfortable fit, and it has a 5-star rating. This top comes in 21 colors up to a 5X. From $24-30.
- Lydia's Select Contrast Mock Wrap Scrub Top - If you want flattering style, this top is for you. The top is slightly longer than other scrub tops, which is particularly important in plus sizes. The diagonal contrast and faux wrap across the chest create a streamlined silhouette, and darts in the back give the shirt more form so it doesn't hang shapelessly on you. This is another 5-star item, according to reviewers. It comes in 18 vibrant colors with sizes up to 5X. Around $16, or 3 or more for $13 each.
- Cherokee Workwear Core Stretch Wrap Scrub Top with Contrast Detail - This shirt has a faux wrap neckline that leads to flattering empire waist detailing. The shirt is tapered in at the waist, then flares out to the hem to create a lovely, feminine shape. The shirt is made of a comfortable stretch fabric, and there are also side vents for movement. Customers love that the shirt looks fitted, not boxy. Available in 9 colors with complimentary contrast in sizes up to 3X. $17-20.
- WonderWink Origins Charlie Scrub Top - This scrub shirt features a Y-neck and a figure-flattering tapered shape so that the shirt fits you properly rather than hides your curves. Customers state that they always receive compliments when wearing this top, and they love that there are 5 total pockets. It comes in 33 colors, with contrast piping at the neck. Available in sizes to 5X. $13-15.
Printed Scrub Tops in Plus Sizes
In general, plus size women might want to avoid big prints since they can make you appear larger. It is also smart for full-figured women to wear printed scrub tops with solid (rather than printed) scrub pants for a more slimming look. If you are looking for seasonal prints, consider shopping for them at least two to three months before the holiday - the inventories tend to be smaller on plus size scrubs and the seasonal prints often sell out before the season starts. Here are some suggestions for year-round prints.
- Cherokee Please Don't Leaf Me Mock Wrap Scrub Top - This fun print features blue, purple and pink shades on a white background, making this the most versatile scrub top as you can pair it with a variety of colored pants. The cut features a back yoke and princess seams to create a flattering shape. Made of a cotton-spandex blend, the top is comfortable and the side vents make it especially easy to move in. The top also features two patch roomy pockets so you can store all your accessories. Available in sizes to 3X. $13-$17.
- BIO Stretch Bohemian Silks Scrub Top - This is another great shirt for plus size medical professionals. With the soft stretch sateen fabric, these scrubs are ultra comfortable and fit well on everyone. Available in sizes to 5X. $24.
Proper Fit Is Key
Note that sizing is not standardized between scrub manufacturers. Be sure to check the size chart against your body's measurements. When you purchase a scrub top that fits and highlights your shape, you'll feel more comfortable and confident throughout your workday.
Be aware whether the scrub top you are purchasing is a women's or unisex cut (the ones discussed here are all women's styles). With unisex scrubs, the cut is straight and there is no tailoring for the waist or flaring for the hips. When buying a unisex style, if your hips are larger than your bust measurement, select the size based on your hip measurement. Or, better yet, stick with a style made for women to flatter your curvy figure.