For everything from your wedding to a spring picnic, a plus size women's white dress can keep you looking cool and lovely.
Types of White Dresses
White dresses are available in a variety of styles, materials, and cuts. They can be as formal or as casual as you like, depending on design. Thanks to the rules of modern fashion etiquette, white dresses are now appropriate year-round.
Materials for White Dresses
When it comes to formal versus informal, little is as important as material. You wouldn't wear a white cotton tank dress to a formal banquet; likewise, your long white chiffon evening gown would hardly be at home on a movie date. Here's a quick rundown of materials and their uses:
- Knit: Sweater and jersey knit dresses are perfect for low-key functions such as casual parties, sporting events, and informal dates. Knit is also comfortable and forgiving, two traits important to the full-figured gal.
- Cotton: Breathable cotton dresses are lightweight, making them perfect for outdoor spring and summer events. Wear a white cotton dress to a picnic, boat show, or tennis match.
- Silk: Cool and sensual, white silk is the ideal material to wear on a summer evening. From a late night dinner to a leisurely stroll, white silk dresses deliver.
- Crochet: White dresses with touches of crochet, embroidery, and other handmade embellishments give a feeling of uniqueness. With their vintage air, these are appropriate for a luncheon, brunch, or tea. A white dress entirely made of crochet would also be at home on the beach or poolside, covering up your swimsuit.
- Chiffon: A long, flowing white dress in chiffon is perfect for formal affairs, such as banquets, weddings, and prom.
- Tulle: You'll feel like Cinderella in a dress made of white taffeta and tulle. This combination is perfect for a fairytale wedding.
- Taffeta: Wear white taffeta for a sophisticated formal look.
- Satin: With its cool, shimmery style, white satin is beautiful formal wear. A short satin cocktail dress is the perfect combination of innocence and flirtatiousness.
- Gauze: If you're looking for a dress that's romantic without being over the top, it's hard to beat a long peasant dress in white gauze. Casual and dressed up all at once, this look is perfect for a low-key romantic date, such as a moonlit stroll.
Keep it PG
Give your dress a test run before going out in public to be sure it won't show off more than you intended. Since white is so light and reflective, many fabrics are rendered almost completely transparent in shades of white, ivory, and off-white. In general, you're safe with thicker fabrics such as linen and denim.
Regardless of fabric, you'll want to try your dress on in a variety of lighting situations, including a camera flash, to ensure you won't be giving an inadvertent peep show. There's nothing more cringe-inducing than looking at photos and realizing all your intimate details were on display! When your dress is white, proper undergarments, such as a slip, bra, and pantyhose, can be the difference between sexy and scandalous.
Where to Buy a Plus Size Women's White Dress
The inventory at clothing stores changes with the seasons and fashion trends, but the popular plus size women's clothing stores, such as Lane Bryant, Silhouettes, and Jessica London, generally feature a plus size women's white dress selection for casual and work wear. White is a staple in the world of wedding and formal attire, so you can always find white dresses at the following: