Cycling is becoming more popular than ever, and this means that you are going to need a fantastic pair of biking shorts to help with comfort and efficiency while on your bike. Many brands are now using inclusive sizing in their top-rated cycling shorts. These retailers will have exactly what any plus size biking beauty is looking for, no matter what type of journey you are about to embark on.
A Big Attitude
You know you are about to try a great biking short when they have been featured on the mega hit television series 'The Biggest Loser' for 7 seasons. A Big Attitude has a ton of media coverage, and rightfully so. Being a company solely selling plus size workout clothes is an accomplishment, and their cheeky name is pretty cute, too!
Best for First Timers
In particular, A Big Attitude's Plus Size Bike Shorts have been among their most popular items. These are a top pick if you are just starting out biking, because they are soft and comfortable in 90 percent combed cotton, and are affordable at about $35 per pair. These shorts come in a broad range of sizes, from 0X-6X, and they are available in black, white, heather gray, charcoal, and navy.
0X fits a size 12/14, 3X fits size 24/26, and 6X fits 36/38; making this short great for those who find a hard time with finding their right size. They have a very generous 10" high inseam, so they always lay smooth, never cutting into your skin. This is great for holding in the tummy and any stubborn areas towards the back. Another bonus of this pair is that these bike shorts will always remain fresh with their high cotton/spandex blend and their cotton gusset.
Danskin has been in business since 1882 and ever since then they have been providing women with outstanding active wear. Danskin is known for a superior comfort and fit, without the hefty price tag. When you shop at Danskin, you'll receive 15 percent off of your first online order with e-mail sign-up, and always receive free shipping on orders of $25 or more.
Best for Casual Biking Beginners
Their Classic Supplex® 7-Inch Bike Short, priced at about $30, is a perfect example of their dedication to comfort and fit. Classic, comfortable, and done in a nylon/spandex blend perfect for short, easy, rides, this is a great choice for plus size ladies who are casual beginning bikers. The short contain a moisture-wicking fabric, so you will definitely be comfortable whereever you ride to.
These shorts boast a 4.8 rating from reviewers on their website, with ladies giving them top marks for being well-constructed and comfortable. They are available in black and navy, and hit just a couple of inches above the knee, for a flattering and thigh-slimming look. These shorts have a 7" inseam and come in sizes 1X-3X. 1X fits 16/18, 2X fits 20/22, and 3X fits 24/26; and these shorts fit true to size. This style also includes a gusset inset for comfort and full range of movement.
Hanes Just My Size
Hanes is synonymous with women's comfort, offers plus size clothing up to 5X, and often has free shipping deals. With their commitment to functional and comfortable garments, it comes as no surprise that they designed a plus sized stretch cotton biking short with maximum comfort in mind.
Best for Laid-Back Comfortable Cycling
The Plus Size Stretch Cotton Jersey Biking Shorts from Just My Size are available in black and a heather gray color for under $10. They have a 4.4 overall rating, so you can buy with confidence. Owners praise their construction and fit, and appreciate that they are flexible but not overly tight, making them perfect for laid-back bike rides.
Made of a cotton/spandex blend, this short is available in sizes 2X-5X. Because of their 90 percent cotton aspect, these shorts are super easy to get on and off; there is absolutely no fuss or tight areas causing any bulges. They also offer great protection against chafing with their flat non-chafing seams, and it's also tag-free so there is no uncomfortable irritation while riding. These shorts are best for a shorter, casual bike ride, as more advanced riders should consider some of the other options in this article.
Rainbeau Curves is a brand specifically designed with plus sized women in mind. This site is a must for active women. With their use of premium performance fabrics, dedication to providing excellent active wear styles for fuller figures, and a commitment to functional and flattering styles, it's a top choice for plus size women. Shopping from Rainbeau Curves also rewards you with free shipping when you spend over $75.
Best for Warm Weather Outdoor Cycling
Their high rise Vivien Floral Printed Bike Shorts do not disappoint and are an outstanding choice for outdoor cycling in warmer temperatures with their performance blend jersey/polyester/spandex blend. This fun short retails for under $30, and comes in sizes 14/16, 18/20, 22/24, and 26/28. It has a wide contoured waistband to fit securely above your hips. The hidden elastic in the band prevents these from falling down.
These also have a wide-lined gusset for comfort, along with flatlock seaming to prevent chafing while pedaling for maximum freshness. Another bonus is that these shorts even have a side panel pocket, ready to fit your cellphone, money, MP3 player, and/or your keys. This is a huge plus for bikers who are worried about their belongings.
Cycling apparel by Shebeest is developed by women for women riders, and they are dedicated to providing high-performance fabrics and features, as well as dynamic fit. Their cycling shorts offer a combination of style and quality. Shebeest also offers free shipping on orders of $100 or more.
Best ror Intermediate/Moderate Cycling
Shebeest's new and improved Pre Dyed Ultimo Plus Short is available for around $90 and, with their high-performance features, perfect for any woman looking to get on a bike worry-free. They are ideal for intermediate to moderate bikers because these shorts are real-world tested and contain a DriStyle fabric to regulate temperature and to help reduce fatigue and sore muscles.
Containing SheLastic 1.0 chamois that is laser cut with 4-way stretch, this pad is super comfortable for riding. Because of this, these shorts are great for taking a spin class. This new chamois pad moves with you because of its wide fabric wings. These wings also extend beyond the padded area to keep stitching away from sensitive areas. Available in sizes 1X-3X, these shorts are a cyclist's dream.
Now this is a store with women cyclists in mind! Terry Bicycles has been in business for over 30 years, and its main focus is to get more women on bikes comfortably, safely, and beautifully. Terry Bicycles offers free shipping and a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee (return any time, for any reason). You can also check out reviews at the bottom of the page right under the product images.
Best for Experts and Extra Long Outdoor Bike Adventures
You too can feel empowered wearing these super sleek black Touring Shorts. Great for serious cyclists, pros, and cyclists going on tour, these shorts have many impressive attributes, such as: an 8-panel construction, super dry wicking material, a zippered pocket, and an elastic-free front. Available in sizes 1X-3X, these touring shorts also feature a Flex Air Tour chamois, with additional padding, ideal for long distance riding.
Priced at about $112, these black biking shorts are expensive, but you are truly getting a multifaceted short. If you don't want elastic in your waistband, this short is for you. If you are in between sizes, size down, as many reviews cited these run just a tad big.
Tips for Finding Your Perfect Pair
With so many different styles of biking shorts out there, you might feel overwhelmed when it comes to making the perfect choice. However, follow these tips and tricks and you will be good to go:
- Make sure that you are in fact buying shorts for cycling. Many shorts that are marketed as bike shorts are actually just compression shorts, which are not the same thing.
- Think of things that are important to you when biking and look for shorts with those particular features when shopping. For example, consider if you prefer a higher rise short, or if you need pockets.
- If you are looking for a slimming pair, consider a high rise style. Higher rise shorts are great because they slim the tummy area and hide any imperfections.
- Are you looking for padded shorts? If you are just started out you may not need them, but if you are planning to be on a bike for a longer period of time, chamois padded shorts are a must for comfort. If you plan on swiftly riding your bike for an hour or more, you need this padding to eliminate possible sore areas.
- If your legs are prone to chafing, make sure to get a pair of bike shorts with flatlock seaming. This will help with friction immensely and not cause you any pain in your thighs.
- If you are only going short distances or biking for a social activity, wear shorts made up of primarily cotton for a casual and comfortable ride on your bike.
- Be climate cautious. If you are going to be outside in extreme heat, make sure to check the tag for moisture-wicking materials, as these will help keep you cool and dry.
- If you find that your shorts are rolling down at the waist, look for styles with elastic waistbands. Keep in mind that many times there is elastic in the shorts, and you may not even know it because it is hidden in the waistband, so look carefully at construction of the shorts if buying online. Also look for cycling short styles with a snug fit to help keep them wear they belong.
- If you are not wearing cotton biking shorts, and you are wearing ones with a padded chamois or dry wicking materials, don't wear underwear. Wearing cotton underwear defeats the purpose of the chamois and/or other wicking fabrics. Some women purchase a cream as well for their lady parts to help with chafing as well.
- Shorts are necessary for cycling, but what if a girl just wants to wear a skirt? You may want to consider a biking skort. This Terry Biking Skort, for example, is super feminine and covers your bum completely, ideal for those ladies who are self conscious about wearing tight spandex. This skort is on sale for about $80 and comes in sizes 1X-3X, in 3 different colors, and features a padded chamois.
Bike With Confidence
The most important thing to consider when biking is confidence. Without confidence in yourself, biking can be tough. Finding the perfect bike shorts for your adventure can give you the extra boost you need to get riding. Whether you are going on a short ride around the neighborhood, or signing up for a serious spin class, you can look and feel your best with the right cycling shorts.