Finding the perfect women's plus size holiday clothing won't take much effort if you shop early and know ahead of time exactly what you want. Just as you make a holiday shopping list, take a few extra minutes to jot down your ideas on what you would like to wear to that special Hanukkah or Christmas party. If you go shopping prepared with sizes, styles and stores already researched, there will be a greater chance of getting what you desire. Shopping at department stores, plus size specialty shops and one-of-a-kind boutiques are some of the options available as you go in search of the perfect holiday ensemble.
Holiday Style Considerations
The first (and easiest) rule to keep in mind when shopping for a fabulous holiday outfit for a plus size figure is to dress for your body type. It may be hard to believe, but not all plus size figures are the same, so be sure to accentuate your body with appropriate clothing.
Figure Flattering Styles
For practically any holiday celebration, a nice figure-enhancing dress is always the way to go because you can easily dress it up as much as you like with select shoes and accessories.
Other items of festive clothing that flatter a full figure are:
- Embellished sweaters
- Pencil skirts
- Boyfriend blazers
- Wrap dresses in festive shades
- Trouser jeans
- Free-flowing blouses
- Knee-length jackets in fur, leather, etc.
No holiday ensemble is complete without the presence of lots of accents to give things some much-needed sparkle. However, when you're a plus size lady you have to tread lightly with embellishments because if you wear too many or styles that are too busy, you can easily appear larger than you are. Whichever part of your body carries the most weight is where you want to avoid wearing any accents, instead placing them on smaller areas.
Great holiday accents include:
- Bold prints/patterns
You will hear a lot from both sides of the fence about wearing the infamous (and notoriously panned) holiday sweaters, sweatshirts or t-shirts. Fashion rules aside, if you like wearing holiday-themed attire, then go for it. If you do, though, remember to keep it at a minimum. Overly flashy patterns and designs on full-figured women can make them look larger. If you like to wear holiday-themed clothing, stick to something simple and slimming.
Shopping for Your Plus Size Holiday Outfit
The best thing to do is to always shop in person where you can try on clothes before purchasing. Many local plus size stores have their holiday selections in stock starting in October; but remember to shop early, as the selection may not last long. Some great places to start looking for your holiday outfit include:
- Lane Bryant: Check online before going into the store; many of their online specials and outfits are also available in store.
- Avenue: Besides finding some great holiday outfits, Avenue also has some fabulous gift ideas for full-figured ladies as well. Check out the outfits for all types of events including work and cocktail parties.
- Nordstrom: Shine during the holidays with some great styles including embellished tunics, detailed jackets and side-ruched sweaters. Note: Nordstrom's online selection may be broader than what is available in the store.
- Ashley Stewart: Stocked with a nice mix of classic and trendy pieces, their accessories are also plentiful.
- Macy's: The iconic department store has a wide variety of plus size fashion by some of the most well-known designers.
- Torrid: For the younger plus size woman or those that like trendy pieces at affordable prices.
Celebrating in Style
After you have chosen the perfect holiday outfit, all that's left to do is make it your own. The way to achieve this is to wear the proper undergarments, accessories and shoes that evoke your personal style. A well-fitting bra is a must; some women also consider purchasing a body-shaper, waist cincher or body suit with special attire to give provide a more svelte silhouette. As for your accessories and shoes, don't hesitate to go over-the-top with bold colors, high heels, embellishments and other attention-grabbing details to complete your holiday look.