Armed with some skills, creativity, and women's plus size crochet patterns, you can make everything from a poncho to a sexy lingerie set.
Far from its beginnings as an old-fashioned, outdated pastime, crochet has become trendy. Even teens and young working women have taken up the skill as a hobby, a way of making clothing, and a means of relaxing. If you're looking to combine a hobby with a social outlet, crochet can fill that need, too. A growing number of women are joining crafting clubs. These range from the conservative and sedate to the wild and crazy.
Crocheted clothing appeals to a wide variety of styles, depending on color and design. Crochet can be old-fashioned and sweet, but it can also be risqué. A bra and panty set in peek-a-boo crochet, for example, is anything but innocent!
Crochet is a handicraft involving yarn and a hook. At its most basic, crochet is a system of creating interconnected loops of yarn. These loops are joined together to create rows, squares, and patterns. After you have learned to read the patterns and create the basic stitches, there is an entire world of crochet available to you! Using a crochet hook, yarn, and a pattern you can create:
If you have never crocheted, you'll want to master the basics before venturing out into the world of making clothes. Scarves, handkerchiefs, and purses are excellent starting points. You can learn to crochet from books, tapes, and classes. Stores like Hobby Lobby and Michael's even sell do-it-yourself crochet kits for beginners.
Buying Women's Plus Size Crochet Patterns
Once you've graduated from creating baby blankets and scarves, you're ready to take on a real challenge: making women's clothing. To make clothing with ease, you'll need a few great women's plus size crochet patterns. At first glance, it can seem as though the only plus-size patterns available are for making ponchos, but a little further searching brings up a goldmine:
- Crochet Pattern Central offers a wide array of women's crochet patterns, including several plus-sized concoctions. Current plus-size offerings include tops, ponchos, cardigans, nightgowns, and a bra and panty set. Enter both "plus size" and "plus-size" in the search box for the best, most complete results.
- The Styles for You catalog features fashionable plus-size crochet sweaters in a variety of styles. Some highlights are the trapeze sweater, openwork duster, and weekend tunic.
- Stylish Plus Fashions offers crochet patterns for wraps, shawls, shrugs, and other outer garments.
- Just as the name suggests, Plus Size Sweaters to Crochet is a collection of plus-size crochet sweater patterns.
- Diane Langan Crochet Designs has several spunky shrugs available in plus sizes.
- Lion Brand, a yarn manufacturer, offers a stunning collection of free patterns, and several of them are for plus size women. Many of the other patterns are labeled "one size," so you might want to try your luck with those.
Other Places to Find Patterns
If you are lucky enough to live near a fabric or hobby store, check there for plus size crochet patterns. You will probably find patterns by Vogue, Butterick, Simplicity, and others. Ask nicely, and the store might even order patterns especially for you. A few stores to try include Hobby Lobby, JoAnn, and Michael's. The fabric section of large department stores usually stocks crochet patterns, too.
Since fashion is largely seasonal, crochet patterns also change and evolve, and the offerings on crochet websites may change from month to month. If you don't mind wearing something considered "last season" or even vintage, you can sometimes find women's plus size crochet patterns at the following:
- Thrift stores
- Garage sales
- Estate sales