For the plus size woman who is taller than average, finding shirts that offer enough length in the sleeves and torso is important. Whether you're looking for a comfortable t-shirt or a fashionable tunic, there are plenty of styles and colors available for tall, plus size frames.
Great Tees for Plus Size Tall Women
T-shirts are a wardrobe staple for everyone, whether you're wearing them while getting coffee or while working out. No one likes having a shirt that's too short and hits far above the hip, so buying tees that are extra long is crucial for the tall plus size shopper.
Beyond length, however, it's also important to get a t-shirt that is the correct size for you. A shirt that is too large can look boxy and drab, so even if you prefer a relaxed fit make sure it is the correct size. These options all offer a great fit:
- Plus Size Brilliant Graphic Tee: T-shirts with empowering sayings printed on them are quite popular, and Forever 21 allows you to get in on the look with this Brilliant tee that claims your mood and self-perception. This creme and burgundy jersey is cool enough to become a weekend favorite. Available up to size 3X for around $15.
- Foil Print Live Tee: This short-sleeve tee is perfect for the tall plus size shopper with a rocker's style. The tee is bold red with a casual fit and a large metallic silver graphic on the front. Wear it to concerts or to the gym when you need an extra dose of self-motivation. It is available in sizes 12-30 for about $30.
- Perfect Cotton V-Neck with Shirring: This tunic-length tee is long enough for a taller woman and will still provide coverage even while exercising. The V-neck has some subtle shirring to help add shape so the shirt doesn't look dowdy. You can get this shirt in 13 different colors, up to size 6X, for under $15.
Since tunics are long to begin with, they are a great choice for tall curvy women. They allow you to dress up an outfit while providing coverage for your hips and upper thighs. However, since tunics are loose-fitting, you might want to belt them or pair them with snug pants so you aren't overwhelmed by your outfit.
- Sleeveless Knot-Front Tunic: While Lane Bryant doesn't offer shirts that are technically tall, the longer tunic length means that tall plus size women can wear this shirt without worrying about the fit. The sleeveless style means the sleeve length isn't an issue if you have long arms. The button-down tunic is available in navy and pairs well with jeans, leggings, or dress pants. Wear a fitted cardigan on top in cooler months. It's available from size 14/16 to 26/28 for about $40.
- Surplice Front Tunic: This A-line flowy shirt has a deep V-neck that is both romantic and provides coverage for even the bustiest woman. The top has 3/4 length sleeves so you don't have to worry about the sleeves not quite hitting your wrists, and it's available in a wide range of colors and prints so you're sure to find one you like. It comes in sizes 14-40 starting at just under $30.
- Doublju Short Sleeve Comfy Loose Fit Long Tunic Top: This V-neck tunic t-shirt can be dressed up or down, and while it's not technically a tall size, it's long enough that tall women can wear it without worry. Made of soft rayon, the shirt is machine washable in cold water and should be arranged flat to dry. This top is available in 25 colors and up to size XXXL for just over $30.
Knitted Tops for Plus-Size Ladies
If you want to dress casually but wear something a bit more stylish than a t-shirt, look for a knitted top. These shirts are made out of jersey material but often have more shape and design to them than tees, so that you look more put together. Consider looking for knitted tops with ruching or shirring, as those elements are flattering for fuller figures.
- Waffle Knit Cut-Out Tee: This charcoal gray top can be dressed up or down. Pair it with jeans or wear it with a skirt or dressy pants for a more refined look. The sleeves are straight and non-restricting while also concealing the arms a bit in case you aren't comfortable going totally sleeveless. This top comes in sizes 1X-3X for just about $22.
- Mixed Stitch Cowlneck Pullover: Knitted tops that lightly skim the body are flattering for every body shape, and this shirt has the added detail of a pretty cowl neck. Wear this with jeans when running around on the weekend, or with suit pants for a business casual outfit. It is available up to sizes 14-28 for about $20 in off white.
- Tunic Length Generous Fit Polo: Polo shirts are the perfect choice for golfing, gardening, and playing tennis, but they can be hard to find for tall women who wear plus sizes. This top solves that problem with an extra-long, A-line fit. The sleeves are still short but they are longer than with most polos, which is great for the tall shopper. It is available in a wide range of colors in sizes M-6X, starting at just under $25.
If you're going out with friends or family, casual blouses are a must-have. The right blouse can help you look polished and stylish, and these selections come in just the right length. Consider picking a blouse that has either a belt or a princess seam to emphasize your waist.
- Stockholm Meadow Printed Floral Blouse :This beautiful black quarter-sleeve blouse has a multi-color floral pattern and a button-up round neckline. It also has pleating in the back that adds a hint of elegant draping to help enhance an hourglass shape. The shirt would look ideal when paired with leggings and mid-calf boots. Available up to size 0X-4X for around $70.
- Tassell Hem Button-Up Shirt: Edgy button-downs are essential during the fall and winter months to add flair to a look for casual outings. This shirt from Eloquii is great for tall, full figured women with a unique tassel touch. It comes in turquoise or purple, up to size 28, for about $60.
- Mixed Media Keyhole Blouse: This flowy design is a must-have for romantic date night. It has a cutout neckline that isn't too low with blouson sleeves. This shirt would pair well with a sleek pair of leatherette pants or pencil skirt and heels. Find it in sizes 1X-4X for just under $80.
Dress Shirt Options
Every woman needs some versatile dress shirts to pair with business slacks, suits, and skirts, whether the outfit is for the office or for special events. These shirts are usually long sleeved, so getting a tall fit is extra important so the sleeves end where they should.
Since dress shirts tend to be fitted, look for one made from a stretch fabric so that you can move comfortably and so that it contours to your curves instead of fighting against them.
- Diane Essential Non-Iron Women's Plus Blouse: This versatile button-down comes in a range of colors and prints and goes with any outfit and it has the benefit of being machine washable and wrinkle free. The shirt is made of cotton and moves with your body. It is available up to size tall 24W for just over $30.
- Pleated Ruffle Blouse: Designed by the Avenue, the delicately pleated v- neckline, three-quarter sleeve blouse pairs perfectly with any skirt. It is available in off white and pink in sizes 14-32 for around $20.
- Floral Print Georgette Crossback Sharkbite Cami: This pick isn't your classic cami, but the multi-color floral print could easily be worn to work or an event with a blazer or cardigan over it. It has a feminine scoop neck to show off your collarbones and a long, loose fit. Get it in sizes L-5X for under $30.
Consider Style and Fit
As a tall woman looking for just the right top, you know that you can't just pull any shirt off the shelf. There are several other factors beyond size that can determine whether a shirt will fit you well. Here are several points to keep in mind while shopping:
- Short and Sleeveless Tops: If finding shirts with sleeves that cover your wrists is too difficult, you always have the option of wearing short sleeve or sleeveless tops (though this may not be suitable for the workplace). You can maintain a professional appearance in a short-sleeve top by pairing it with a cardigan or blazer.
- Take Your Measurements: To make sure you get your shirts in the length you need, measure your torso from the nape of your neck to where you'd like your tops to fall. Also measure the length of your arms. If shopping online, check for the shirt measurements so you know if you're getting a shirt that's long enough and with long enough sleeves.
- Shop Tunic Styles: Tunics are longer than regular tops, so if you see tunics for plus size women available, they will probably be a suitable length for you. Belted tunics can be very flattering on women with hourglass shapes.
Get a Fashionable and Comfortable Fit
Today's tall plus size women do not have to settle for shirts that are too short or for long sleeves that end above their wrists. With the increasing availability of plus size fashions for women of all heights, finding shirts that are stylish and fit correctly is no longer the same fashion challenge it once was.