The bohemian look dates to the mid-19th century, when artists and intellectuals adopted easygoing, liberated lifestyles as a departure from traditional society. Women of the time sought the freedom of looser clothing and gypsy-inspired accessories. Bohemian clothing is always in style and still just as comfortable and liberating for full-figured women.
Shop for Bohemian Plus Size Clothing
It's not always easy to find bohemian clothing, but the following shops offer great selections. They also garner praise from the media, as well as from their customers.
At eShakti, you can buy full-figured bohemian fashions off the rack or have them customized to suit your measurements and preferences. The store offers a wide range of clothes with strong, boho-style elements like batik printed tops, colorful peasant and tunic tops, as well as easy-fitting skirts and slacks in stunning prints and embellishments. Most items are made of 100% cotton, thus adhering to the back-to-nature aspect of bohemia.
Shipping is based on order totals, and items can be returned within 30 days. Prices start around $30 and go to over $100, with most prices ranging between $30 and $80. Sizes range from XL to 6X.
Add some boho flair to your wardrobe with pieces like:
- Split Neck Tile Print Georgette Tunic: From the dainty neckline to the loosely flowing body and the curved hem providing coverage for larger backsides, this vibrant ethnic-print top is totally boho. Made of cotton for comfort and durability, the blue batik print goes as well with jeans as it does with skirts or slacks. It's available in sizes 1X to 6X for around $50.
Floral Print Georgette Banded Empire Dress: Comfort and versatility come together in this flirty silhouette. The floral print empire dress has a low v-neck which is flattering for women who have fuller busts. For those who may be self-conscious about their arms, the flowing sleeves offer great coverage. The georgette and polyester blend dress is mid-length and perfect to wear with a vintage-inspired pair of leather boots and a denim vest. It is available in sizes up to 6X for just over $70.
Huffington Post featured eShakti on their list of the best stores for plus size gals because of their extensive inventory of extended size clothing. The Morning Blend also highlighted them for their unique customizing services.
ModCloth offers an extensive selection of bohemian clothing at prices any would-be boho chick can manage, but their designs are particularly attractive to the youthful, vibrant full-figured woman. Prices vary from around $15 to under $200 for tops, bottoms, dresses, and accessories, and they offer a nice inventory in sizes 1X to 4X.
Order $50 or more to enjoy free shipping and return items within 30 days for store credit, refund, or exchange under their return policy.
You can pull together most of an authentic boho wardrobe with selections like:
- Back Road Ramble Top: Slip into stylish comfort when you don this easy-fitting tunic. It's loaded with bohemian details like a crinkled fabric yoke, pin-tucked bodice, and softly gathered waist. The flowing design disguises hips, while the collarless style creates a vertical line that makes you look taller and slimmer. It's made of 100 percent cotton and for under $35, it might become your favorite go-to piece when wearing pants or a skirt with flat shoes. Sizes range from XL to 4X.
Wrangler x MC Austin Translation Flared Jeans: A wide-bottom pair of jeans is a good option to have when pulling together of a bohemian inspired outfit. These flared silhouette jeans have cactus, sun, and floral butterfly embroidery above the right pocket and near the bottom of the left leg hem. Wearing them with a tank top and wedge shoes and a long necklace would be perfect for a casual afternoon. These denim jeans are available in sizes up to 24W and cost around $120.
An article in REDBOOK praised ModCloth as one of "14 amazing sites that get plus size right." In addition, they are a BBB Accredited Business with an A+ rating.
For the free-spirited style of the Bohemian Plus Size woman, Gypsy Outfitters offers global-inspired trends without breaking the bank. Their bohemian collection of offerings includes upcycled jewelry, and clothing finds that are on trend and made of excellent quality. Sizes offered at Gypsy Outfitters ranges from 1XL to 3XL with prices ranging from about $9 to $65.
Gypsy Outfitters offers a store credit for full-priced returns within 14 days of being purchased. The cost of shipping is determined upon order and USPS shipping costs.
Add some boho style to your closet with pieces like:
- Ruffle Navy Plus Dress: The sleeveless round neck dress is great with denim shorts, or leggings and sandals. Made of cotton and rayon blend, the ruffles along the bottom hemline add a flirty and feminine touch. The dress is available in sizes XL to 2XL and costs around $54.
- Into The Wilderness Plus: Perfect for transitioning seasonal temperatures, this long sleeve ribbed top is a great layering addition to your bohemian wardrobe. The round neck, 3/4 sleeve top has a colorful tasseled trim that adds a nice modern flair. Made of rayon, polyester, and spandex, the shirt ranges in sizes 1XL to 3XL and costs around $45. The top can be worn with jeans or bootleg pants and wedges.
Blogger Shannon Miller of the Sugar Shannon gave Gypsy Outfitters a glowing review in her unboxing of a tie dye t-shirt dress offered by the brand.
If you can't find the bohemian clothing in plus sizes to fit you, and it's a style you love, you might search the thrift stores to look for boho-flavored pieces and patterns. Even if you have a hard time finding garments, you could discover great accessories like funky jewelry, scarves, shawls and handbags.
Additionally, you could transform an unadorned skirt or dress into something bohemian with items from your local craft and fabric stores, such as appliques, beaded trims, and ribbons. Even if you have little sewing experience, you can add ribbons or lace to a skirt's hem. Pair that with a fringed shawl tied around your waist and beaded or feathered jewelry, and claim your place in the world of bohemia. No matter how you come by your bohemian attire, you'll add a creative, stylish element to your wardrobe with such unique pieces.
Features of Flattering Bohemian Fashions
Modern Bohemian dress combines gypsy flavoring with the freedom of movement and comfort that originally encouraged many women to embrace the look wholeheartedly. Hallmarks of this look include:
- Long, flowing skirts
- Brightly colored flowing tops
- Bold jewelry
- Comfortable shoes
- Hair worn hanging loose
This bold, striking look is a figure flattering one for full-figured women because easy-fitting, unstructured tops, bottoms and dresses hide bulges and add feminine flair. Flowing, gauzy tops conceal tummy rolls and distract the eye with intricate details like beading, embroidery or fringe, while scarves and belts create the illusion of willowy, hourglass shapes. Whether you want to add a touch of bohemian charm or you're ready to go all the way, many beautiful boho styles are adaptable for work, play and pleasure.
Traditionally, plus size bohemian clothing pieces were second-hand, recycled or re-purposed, or handmade garments. Iconic Bohemians didn't have much money, so they pulled ensembles together with whatever they had or could find and used them to express their creativity and individuality. Today, there are many more options for finding boho-style clothing in extended sizes so you don't have to depend on vintage or thrift stores to find the items you want. Keep looking until you find those that offer the styles you like and feel great in, and you'll find going boho is easy and fun.