For work, evening or even just a casual stroll, there are few items as completely perfect as a wrap around dress. This fashion staple is always flattering and comfortable for full figures and is easy to dress up or down. With such a variety of styles and colors available in plus sizes, women can own several wrap around dresses and wear them throughout the year.
Wrap Around Dress Styles
Women can find plus size dresses in wrap around styles at many boutiques and department stores. You can find dresses done with long and short sleeves, at long and short lengths and even ones that feature faux wraps, making them easy to wear for any occasion.
Lane Bryant has a great selection of dresses for plus size women. Expect to find the season's most popular colors and styles. Wrap around styles include:
- Faux Wrap Dress: For the illusion of a wrap around without any fuss, this dress is ideal. It is priced around $70 and comes in purple. It is made from a blend of polyester and spandex and can be washed by hand. This dress has a surplice neckline and ruched side detailing to create the look of a wrap around. It also has three quarter length sleeves and will reach right below the knee. It comes in sizes 16/18 to 22/24.
Macy's carries a selection of wrap around dresses for full-figured women. You can find brand name dresses in the trendiest styles and colors as well as classic designs. Some styles to consider include:
- NY Collection Faux Wrap Maxi Dress: This black maxi dress is priced under $40 and comes in sizes 1X to 3X. It is made from a blend of polyester and spandex and is super comfortable and easy to wear. It features a cinched waist with a belt, three-quarter length sleeves and a point collar. This dress reaches mid-calf and is extremely flattering due to its faux wrap style. Customers who purchased this dress comment on how it slims the figure and is comfortable to wear. One reviewer mentioned it is ideal to pack for travel and can be worn for a variety of occasions.
Avenue features stylish wrap around dresses for plus size women. This site carries styles in faux and classic designs and in fun prints and colors. A stylish option includes:
- Khaki Wrap Dress: This versatile dress is priced under $70 and comes in sizes 14 to 24. It is done in a short sleeve style with a v-neckline and full wrap front. This dress features a faux leather buckle closure at the side and a Mandarin-style collar. It is made from a blend of polyester, rayon and spandex and can be machine washed. This dress hits right above the knee.
Since plus size wrap around dresses fold into shape when on and hug the body, they look good on almost every figure and are particularly flattering to curvy women. Wrap dresses skim the hips, emphasize the cleavage and cinch the waist, creating an hourglass effect. Whether you are tall or petite, a wrap dress can set off your best curves and help you look your best. When choosing and styling a dress, keep these tips in mind:
- If you are very curvy, choose a wrap dress with a V-neckline. Most of them have one anyway, due to the nature of the cut, but it's good to be sure. A V-neck is ideal for curvy girls since it draws the eyes upwards and accentuates the figure.
- Wear your dress with the right undergarments. A simple shaper can hold in the hips while giving you the illusion of a smaller waist and fuller bust. Look for undergarments that will smooth your figure and will not be seen under the dress.
- You can change up the look of your dress by pairing it with different accessories and jewelry. For example, dress it down for a casual look by wearing it over funky patterned tights, leggings or even jeans. If you're chilly, you can warm it up by wearing a tailored cardigan over it. Scarves and chunky necklaces are also great accessories to wear with a wrap around dress.
- For extra coverage or a pop of color, wear a tightly fitted tank under your dress. You can go with a contrasting color to make a statement or a matching shade for a monochromatic look. Even a nude tank can look great.
- Wrap around dresses look great with various styles of shoes. You can dress up your look with a pair of high heels or peep-toe pumps. For cold weather style, pair your dress with a pair of knee high leather boots.
Wrap around dresses wrap never go out of fashion and are available in a variety of fabrics, styles and colors making it possible to get several to add to your wardrobe collection. When it comes to selecting a wrap dress, aim for something timeless and make a good investment if you find something you love. A well-made dress in a good fabric will last for years if you care for it properly.