When it's time to unleash your inner warrior, don't let lack of costume options keep you from the fight. The selection of plus-size Halloween costumes improves every year. Online shopping is a great option, with helpful size charts and easy return policies ensuring that you're suited up in style when the fateful night arrives.
You probably know where your local Party City store is and the good news is that their Halloween offerings feature tons of fab costume choices for full figures and tall trick-or-treaters. Plus-size costumes include your favorite movie characters, action heroes, fairy tale princesses, and ghostly get-ups. Shop in-store or order online without worries - unopened merchandise may be returned for full purchase price or store credit at the store where you bought it. Online purchases may also be returned at any store, but only for the purchase price, with no refund for shipping. Standard shipping starts at about $8.00 and takes 2 to 6 business days.
- Let It Go, let it all go and jump into your Elsa costume from Frozen as you warm up your pipes for a performance at a Halloween party or parade. Elsa swans around in a floor-length, ombre icy-blue gown with an attached, full-length cape that's spangled with snowflakes. The dress is off-the-shoulder with subtle shoulder straps for extra wardrobe-fail prevention. A convenient skirt slit lets you ascend and descend steps gracefully. You provide the pretty slippers and white wig. The plus-size is 18-20, for up to 190 lbs and 5'10" in height. Fork over around $60.00. Elsa's white wig is also available at $25.00.
- Into the classics? Snow White herself might be more your style. The beloved housekeeper of the Seven Dwarfs is unmistakable in a fitted blue velour bodice with striped puffy sleeves, a stand-up collar, and a gold skirt and attached petticoat. The red cape hooks onto the costume and a big red bow works on either your own hair or on an official Snow White wig. Costume in plus-size is about $90.00 and the wig is $30.00. The gown fits sizes 18-20, up to 195 lbs and 5'10" in height.
- If Prince Charming isn't your thing, why not go as the famous Edvard Munch "Scream," or the very creepy villain from the movie Scream, with a long black robe, tattered sleeves, a hood, and a screaming face mask? The Party City version even has a bleeding face with a hand-held pump to control the fake blood that courses through it. You get the floor-length robe, a belt, bloody knife, black gloves and Scream mask for about $30.00. Extra-large fits up to 300 lbs with a height range of 69 to 75 inches.
Halloween Express has a decent range of plus-size costumes and offers free standard shipping on orders over $65 or more. You can exchange your costume within 15 days of receipt for no shipping charges either way. It's helpful to note that Halloween costumes are not as sturdy as theatrical costumes and often tend to run small. The vendor gets an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau for its 20 years of full-service, great annual pop-up retail stores, solid customer-centric website, and enormous selection of costumes for the whole family.
- Fiona, from the movie Shrek, wears a flattering, emerald-green ankle-length gown, fit for a princess. The costume comes with a headband to hold those trademark ears in place. Supply your own long braid and shoes. Plus-size fits sizes 18 to 20, with a suggested height of up to 5'8" or 5'9" and a weight range of 175 to 190 lbs. Sale price is about $62.00.
- While you're at it, grab an easy-going Shrek costume for Fiona's smitten escort. Shrek's getup includes a jumpsuit with open vest, long-sleeved tunic (with an inflatable belly and a brown belt), and checkered trousers. Naturally, you get a grinning green mask to make you indistinguishable from the movie hero. The plus-size costume comes in sizes 50-52 and fits a height range from 5'11" to 6'1," a weight range of 205 to 220 lbs, and an inseam of 28-30 inches. The sale price is around $75.00.
What can you say about Amazon? Selection, selection, selection! Not to mention easy return policies and shipping that could be free, depending on the vendor and your participation in Amazon programs. Plus, if Amazon itself doesn't sell it, one of their affiliated vendors does - and they list all available prices so that you can get the best deal.
- No more Mr. Nice Guy. Your monstrous side is rattling the cage and Halloween is the night for Frankenstein to stagger out into the crowd. The adult plus-size costume fits jacket size 50 and up, so you've got room to breathe. Universal Studio's licensed version comes with a shaped and stitched headpiece (with neck bolts), a jacket with extreme padded shoulders and inset shirt, pants, and funky clunky shoe covers. Slap on some deathly green make-up and you're good to go. This costume will set you back about $36.00 and it ships from Amazon so you have options for free shipping. Some customers mention that the shoulder pads could use a little extra stiff foam and the elastic-waist pants might be snug, depending on your mid-section measurement. Suggested waist size is 42 to 46 inches.
Costume Supercenter is an online-only emporium with a mad selection of plus sizes in every category, from monks to monsters. Shop-at-Home gives Costume Supercenter four out of five stars for such features as good prices, good customer service and returns, and good selection. They offer same-day shipping for orders placed before 3 p.m. Easy returns and exchanges are available within 10 days for unopened costumes, and they have a variety of affordable shipping choices starting with a flat rate economy ground shipping within 2 to 10 days for about $8.00.
- The Vintage Hollywood Tuxedo Adult Plus Size Costume has natty black slacks, a black tailcoat, and a white shirt front with an attached bowtie. Add a top hat, cane, and some shiny black shoes and you'll be Puttin' on the Ritz with Ginger at the center of the action. This costume comes in both plus size and XXXL (up to 58" chest) and runs around $40.00. The top hat is about $9.00 and the cane is $7.00. Bon vivant!
- If you're a fan of the 60s and 70s, give this Hippie Flower Child costume a go. You'll get a red and pink floral maxi dress with bell sleeves, and the costume fits sizes 16 to 22. It sells for about $35, but you'll need to purchase a tambourine and a flower headband separately.
Spirit of Halloween
Spirit of Halloween has it all, from animatronics to props and plus size, theatrical-grade costume knock-outs to make you a star. Top Consumer Reviews gives the year-round online store high marks (there are more than a thousand annual September-October pop-up retail shops around the country) for a wide selection, friendly customer service, and same-day shipping for orders placed before noon. You get online tracking, 21-day returns for refunds, and plenty of accessories to kit out your spooky-spectacular look. The Spirit of Halloween site will help you to locate a nearby brick-and-mortar store in season. Economy shipping starts at about $6.00 but shipping speed and costume weight determine the final cost.
Don't just be a witch, be a pointy-hat babe and cast your wicked spell over all the lesser beings at the party. The black dress reaches mid-thigh, and it has short puffed sleeves and a belt. A matching black witch hat completes the fabulousness. This one's an online-only purchase at around $55.00, and it's availabel in sizes 3X and 4x. Simply bewitching!
You're a Sophisticated Lady so dress for success with a flapper knock-out number that will blind them with bling. Invoke the 1920s in a black dress complete with a scoop neckline, short skirt, and fringe hem. The gloves and feathered headpiece come with the set, so you'll just need to add accessories like a string of faux pearls, cigarettel holder, feather boa, and shoes. The costume sells online for around $35.00 and comes in a universal "plus size."
Halloween is officially a fantasy-fest - a wild and sometimes wicked celebration of all things imaginative and over-the-top. Find the costume of your dreams in your size and boogie down with the best of them. Whether you're headed for a party or shepherding little Incredibles around in your own Superhero threads, there are plenty of ways for you to track down an awesome costume that fits and flatters you.