Just like white tops and basic denim, a selection of plus size loungewear is essential to any complete wardrobe. Perfect for downtime, weekend wear and even quick errand runs, loungewear sets the standard for comfortable clothing that is relaxed, yet pulled together.
It wasn't so long ago that many types of plus size garments could be considered "loungewear." The unflattering cuts and billowy silhouettes suggested styles that were more suitable for the home than outerwear. Today, though, advancements in design have left plus size women with plenty of options in all styles of clothing - and loungewear is, indeed, in a category all its own.
More importantly, it is designed with the plus size figure in mind, yet it does not follow the mold of older, shapeless styles. Today's loungewear may even be considered polished by some standards! At the very least, it's a non-sloppy alternative to sweats that is perfect for impromptu visitors or even just answering the door!
Typical loungewear styles include "lounger" gowns, elastic waist pants, T-shirts, shorts, capri pants, camisoles, sleep shirts, duster jackets, pullovers and zip-up hoodies. The majority of loungewear garments are constructed of material that is exceptionally soft and easy to move in, like jersey and cotton blends.
Where to Find Plus Size Loungewear
Consider yourself lucky if you're on the hunt for plus size loungewear. You'll find an amazing variety of options at a number of retailers. Whether your tastes are more sporty and youthful or refined and understated, you can count on fulfilling your needs - and filling your closet - with some of these comfortable picks. Try these retailers for your next purchase:
- Junonia: If you favor sporty, kick-back styles that can take you on a quick errand run if needed, then the selection at Junonia will serve you well. Look for airy tunic tops, cropped pants, ultra-comfortable fleece pants and timeless jersey pants. Since they are sold primarily in solid hues, they mix and match perfectly with one another.
- Old Navy: The Old Navy plus size line is primarily available online. The relaxed lineup includes plenty of practical loungewear styles, like seasonal baseball tees that are perfect even for bedtime; layering camisoles; flannel pants; boxer shorts; and hooded pullovers, to name a few. You'll even find lounge footwear, like "boot slippers" made of cable knit and more. If you're shopping on a budget, this is by far one of the best stores to visit.
- Target: Prefer to shop in person? Head to your local Target store, where you'll find a vast selection of easy lounge pieces in the plus size department. Offerings include comfortable T-shirts, velour lounge sets, loose modal pants and thermal tops and bottoms for layering beneath cold weather wardrobes. One of the greatest benefits of shopping at Target is that you'll find a great range of choices at very reasonable prices, so you can affordably build a complete set of mix-and-match loungewear pieces.
- Torrid: Just the place to go if you favor trendy styles, Torrid offers a range of hip, plus size lounge attire. Though there are plenty of comfortable tops and bottoms in the clothing line, there is also a separate selection of sleep and loungewear for women seeking the ultimate in low-key comfort. Look for elastic waist pants, plush tops, capri pants and more.
- Woman Within: Nothing says comfort like a lounger gown, which is essentially a loose housedress with an A-line cut. Easy to throw on in an instant, these gowns are available in long and short lengths and sold in a variety of solids and prints. Visit Woman Within for an enormous selection of lounger gowns appropriate for warm and cool weather alike. Whether your preference is sleeveless, short sleeved or full sleeved, you'll easily find a style that meets your needs.
The Finishing Touch
There is only one important detail to keep in mind when choosing loungewear, and it has nothing to do with matching accessories or cute shoes! As with any garment purchase, it is imperative to focus on comfort. Keep in mind that you can perform a number of activities in these clothes, ranging from quick errand runs to leisurely naps on the couch. It's important to choose clothes that aren't constrictive or uncomfortable. The good news is that most lounge attire is cut quite loosely, so you should easily find something that meets your needs and keeps you comfy all day long.