Plus size leotards and tights aren't always easy to find, but they are available at several topnotch stores. Choose from a varied selection of fabrics, colors, and cuts in sizes especially designed to flatter a fuller figure. Accessorize these garments with dance skirts and scarves if you choose or wear them solo, but whenever you don them, you'll feel prepared to dance.
Shopping for Plus Size Leotards and Tights
You'll have better luck finding what you need by shopping with vendors that cater to the plus size market. Instead of having to make do with garments that are simply larger, you'll find a more exciting range of choices in dancewear designed especially for your body.
You Go Girl Dancewear
You Go Girl Dancewear offers a great selection of plus size tights and leotards in ready-made styles or special-order designs. Leotard brands include Capezio, Eurotard, Body Wrappers, Danskin, and Bal Togs, but you'll find the most options in the Eurotard and Body Wrappers brands. You can speed your on-site search by using search filters. For example, to see Eurotard leotards or tights selections, search manufacturers.
Choose from camisole, short or long sleeved, tank or halter style leotards. Tights styles include footed, shimmer, convertible, footless and stirrup tights. Sizing depends on brand, so use their size charts to get the best fit.
Pricing, Shipping, and Returns
Prices at this site range from around $10 to $40. Shoppers have a 30-day return window, and the shipping rates are based on the dollar amount of purchases.
Examples to Consider
Examples of You Go Girl's tights and leotards include:
- Body Wrappers Plus Size Long Sleeve Leotard: Move with grace and charm in this ballet-cut leotard. It features a high scooped neckline, long sleeves, and a self-lined front for comfort. Choose from seven pretty colors, including purple, bright royal and scarlet, in sizes 2X to 6X for under $30.
Danskin Shimmery Footed Plus Size Dance Tights: Light up the stage when you wear these shiny tights. They feature a comfortable waistband and a CoolMax® gusset to wick moisture away from your body and keep you cooler. The stretchy fabric blend provides freedom of motion without binding. Priced under $15, these tights come in black or toast in sizes 1X to 4X.
Pampos, another respected dancewear store, offers a fair selection of plus size tights and leotards. The largest selection is in tights, but there's a handful of leotards from Body Wrappers, Motionwear and Capezio. Leotard sleeve options range from cap sleeve to long sleeve, while tight styles range from footless to footed to shimmer. To determine the size you need, choose a style and then consult the manufacturer's size chart for specifics.
Pricing, Shipping, and Returns
Prices range from approximately $20 to $50, and flat rate ground shipping is $5. Items must be returned within 30 days to receive a refund or exchange.
Examples of Pampos' tights selection include:
- Capezio Hold and Stretch Footed Dance Tights: These semi-opaque, fully-footed tights are a blend of nylon and lycra, so they really stretch and move with you. The one-inch waist band keeps these tights up where they belong, and they come in pink, suntan, and black. Sizing runs from 1X to 3X, and they're priced around $22.
- Adult Hold and Stretch Convertible Dance Tight by Capezio: Whether you are headed for classes, shows or competitions, you'll love the fit and performance of these durable tights. They do double duty because they can be worn as footed or footless tights, and they feature an ultra-comfortable, wide waistband and a semi-opaque appearance. Priced around $20, they come in sizes XL and XXL in light suntan.
Popular Plus Size Dancewear Brands
Several well-known brands of dancewear offer plus size leotards and tights to retailers, but they may or may not sell directly to the public. Top brands include:
- Body Wrappers: One of the few dancewear manufacturers still making products in the USA, Body Wrappers is celebrating their 29th year of providing dancewear retailers with a diverse line of durable, comfortable, and affordable garments.
- Capezio: This manufacturer's reputation for quality dance shoes dates to 1887. In 1952, they received one of fashion's greatest awards, the Coty Award. In addition to manufacturing superior dance shoes, they provide retail outlets with top quality dance apparel like leotards and tights.
- Danskin: In 1952, Danskin introduced the dance world to nylon body-wear. They were the first to offer knit tights and leotards, and they're currently ranked #23 in The Women's Wear Daily Top 100 Brands.
- Eurotard: This company offers the best of both worlds to the dance apparel industry with a combination of American artisanship and European design.
- Motionwear: Motionwear has serviced the needs of the dance industry for over 25 years with well-fitting, comfortable, quality dancewear. Their line includes tops and bottoms, but no tights.
Dancewear Special Considerations
Dancewear is typically sized differently from street clothes. Many labeled sizes run small, and this is true for tights and leotards. While it's usually preferable to try on a leotard before buying since the cut is so crucial, you'll have to purchase online if you can't find the sizes you need at a local store. Wherever you shop, just be sure to get as much information as you can before committing to buy and make sure you can return or exchange items with ease.