Finding plus size lingerie can seem overwhelming to the full-figured woman, but it's important to every woman to look and feel her best, no matter what size she wears. Knowing where to shop and having an open mind are the keys to finding the right style of lingerie for everyday wear as well as those special night-time occasions.
If you do not have the time to go shopping for lingerie in person, or feel intimidated by the salesclerks and frustrated by a small selection at stores, visiting websites may be a good way to find the items you need. Online stores may also have a broader selection. The following online merchants offering lingerie in extended sizes, but today there are many web stores that offer plus size intimate apparel, so don't let your search for the perfect pieces be limited.
- Just My Size: Women can choose from bras, panties, lingerie, sleepwear, and shapewear in sizes ranging from 1X to 6X (or 14W to 40W). Just My Size uses a size 18 model to test their lingerie instead of just "sizing up" clothing from a size 6 model. This method ensures a better fit for larger women.
- Frederick's of Hollywood: This is a great source for both sexy and sensible lingerie. Underwire bras, corsets, teddies, gowns and chemises are all available in sizes from 1X-3X or 18-26.
- Macy's: If you are looking for a dependable source for lingerie to target those problem areas, look no further than Macy's. From shapewear to body shapers to torsettes and waist cinchers, you'll find lots of choices for looking instantly slimmer and sexy. Shop online or at your local brick-and-mortar location.
- 3 Wishes: Browse their large range of erotic and risqué lingerie. Some of the available choices include lingerie, costumes, accessories and holiday wear in sizes 1X to 4X. Bridal wear, open-cup bras, and crotchless panties are available for the more adventurous.
- Yandy: Enjoy a free gift with your qualifying order when you shop for your full-figured lingerie at Yandy. Their user-friendly search engines allows customers to shop by designer names or specific styles. Some top designers featured here are Dreamgirl and Shirley of Hollywood, and they also feature an entire collection of hard-to-find plus-sized fishnet lingerie.
Before ordering online, be sure to check the website's policy regarding shipping and returns.
Purchasing Plus Size Lingerie in Stores
Although buying plus size lingerie online can be quick and easy, there are still advantages to purchasing lingerie in stores. One of the most important is everything can be tried on in the store, eliminating the hassle of returns. Having salesclerks to suggest styles and sizes can also make certain you get the proper fit. Although it may take longer to try everything on, it can pay off when you find a certain style that works --you can then search for that undergarment in that style for future purchases.
Stores to visit for plus size lingerie include:
- Dillards: If you are looking for plus-size Spanx lingerie, make Dillard's your go-to source. In addition to featuring the Spanx brand, you can browse the lingerie offerings from top designer labels such as Cotillion, Jasmine & Ginger, or Sleep Sense. Full-figured lingerie is available in sizes 1X to 3X, and you can shop at your neighborhood store or online.
- Lane Bryant: With a well-established reputation for catering to the needs of the full-figured woman, Lane Bryant does not disappoint in their selection of lingerie items. Shop in-store or online for seriously sensuous items like chemises, babydolls, hipster panties, and so much more in sizes ranging from 1X to 3X.
- JCPenny: Odds are there is a JCPenny store at your local mall or shopping center, but if not, you can use their store locator to find the nearest location by simply entering your zip code information. Sizes range from 1X to 7X in styles from bras to panties to shapewear to sleepwear.
- Nordstrom: Use their convenient store locator to find the shop nearest you or shop online. Nordstrom offers a full line of lingerie in plus sizes that range from X to 3X. Whether you are looking for boyshorts or thongs, bras or sleepwear, you'll always find a wide selection of styles, fabrics and colors by shopping this high-end retailer.
- Catherines: Like their sister store Lane Bryant, Catherines offers a flattering array of lingerie in sizes OX to 5X. If you want an excellent guarantee of finding something suitable without putting in a lot of effort, this is a great venue for buying items like bras and panties, shapewear, hosiery and sleep separates. A wonderful benefit of buying from them is you can make your selections from their online inventory but have your purchase shipped free to any of their Catherines, Lane Bryant or Fashion Bug locations.
Tips for Buying and Choosing Lingerie
- Let the salesperson help. Many have been trained in fitting, so do not hesitate to take advantage, especially if you have gained or lost weight recently. This can significantly change the size and style you may need.
- If you have a full chest, look for chemises and teddies with underwire bras built in to support the breasts.
- Ties and adjustable straps on slips, chemises, gowns and teddies help make the fit snugger and keep the lingerie from shifting.
- If you are shy about your stomach, stay away from "fly-away" chemises and babydolls, as these styles draw attention to the problem area.
- Look for colors that flatter your skin tone, and v-neck shapes in slips/chemises to draw the eyes upward to your face and neck.
- Gals witth slim legs benefit from short babydolls, which draw attention to calves and thighs.
Look and Feel Beautiful
Lingerie has a way of making you feel sensual and sexy regardless of your size or shape. When you are wearing undergarments that fit well and look great, it gives you an extra bit of confidence. Enjoy the experience of shopping for pieces you love wearing and enjoy being seen in.